help my fish jumped out of the aquarium and hes suffereing:(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bioworldmaker said:
I read on another forum that the best way to put fish to "sleep" is to make large bucket with lots of ice and water, take the fish out of the tank and put it in the ice-water. The shock should kill it instantly

While it is shock, imagine what it's like when a human gets plunged into ice water. It's bad enough if you are walking over a frozen lake in winter and fall in, the shock of it being so cold causes you to not be able to breathe or move. Now imagine that, but coming straight from 80'ish to freezing temps.

It has to be unbearable IMO.

-brent

but the water in the cup or whatever would keep it from going into that plunging affect. it would be more like walking very slowly into a freezing swimming pool. ya kno. when it goes on the feet if feels fine. but as it goes to the stomach and up its really cold.

While it is shock, imagine what it's like when a human gets plunged into ice water

Now you are making an apple and orange comparisson.
Humans are very different beings than fish.

I take from your reply that you preffer the chopping the head option or smashing the head with a hammer or soaking in concentrated alchohol. Just in case you want to compare, a human decapitated still has reflexes up to 1.5min from the time it got his head chopped off, same for the head smashed up.
As for the vodka, imagine putting that on an open wound. Sounds like it would hurt hu. In a fish, the alchohol doesn't go to the tummy, it goes to the lungs, since thats what they are doing - not drinking the water, breathing o2 from the water. Think of the equivalent on a human, pouring alchoohol into a human's lungs. I have serious doubts that it would be a happy-hour drunken human.

bottom line: fish aren't people

By the way... I forgot to mention in the last post

I never had to put a fish to sleep - lucky me I guess. While I do respect your opinion, Brent, I just don't agree with your reasoning.
I just wanted to make sure you understand it is nothing personal, after all, what does anyone know about fish pain other than what we observe? Euthanasia is not a pleasant topic and I know some of us love our fish as if they were parts of our families and want the best for them. But no one can really tell how 'instantaneous' death occur under any of the circunstances discussed in this or any forum.

Back
Top Bottom