Help my fish keep dying!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SabrenaLeigh

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We've had our fish tank for about 3 months now and since saturday we've had 3 fish die! I changed the water about a week ago, and I change the filters according to the directions. When I discovered the first two dead fish, both on saturday, I was too upset to get a good look at them. one was a Bala shark and the other I'm not sure what the actual name is but its an algae eater that is slender and silver (and small). tonight another algae eater one died and I looked at it. all its fins were gone, its eyes were cloudy, not sure if it was just because of the death, and had a black stomach. my other two dead fish eyes were clear. I also have a big black algae eater type, two medium size fish and 3 small fish, one pink and two small (like a guppy) with black strips. Oh and one is fat, not sure if its pregnant, and it is aggressive towards the other fish, mainly the other small ones. What could be going on in my tank and how can I fix it?? I'm not really smart when it comes to this stuff, we got it cuz our kids wanted fish and we couldnt have any other animals!!

Welcome Aboard!

Sorry about your loss, but a few questions need to be answered in order to help you out.

Is your tank cycled? What are your water parameters? How do you test your water quality (parameters)?

Sounds like ammo/no2 poisoning to me, but without more info it's a best guess scenario.

I have a filter. not sure about that other stuff, I've never had this happen to me!!

SabrenaLeigh said:
I have a filter. not sure about that other stuff, I've never had this happen to me!!

You should read up on cycling with fish (search that term here).

A couple other questions are, how do you dechlorinate your water and how often do you do PWC (partial water changes)?

A filter is a must, but if the ammo (ammonia) builds up in the tank, it becomes toxic to fish..

I take about 20% of the water out every other week and put new water in and I'm not sure what the stuff is I use because I used the last of the stuff when I did my change, it was a sample. I will read up on cycling

SabrenaLeigh said:
I take about 20% of the water out every other week and put new water in and I'm not sure what the stuff is I use because I used the last of the stuff when I did my change, it was a sample. I will read up on cycling

I'd suggest you use a product called Prime, it's the best at dechlorinating water and I'd also recommend you get a liquid test kit (API FW Master test kit is what I use) and test the water quality of your tank.

My best suggestion is to get some Prime asap, double dose (4 drops per gallon) and do a 50% PWC today.

How may fish are still in the tank?

I'd suggest not getting any more until the tank is cycled and stable.

I have 6 fish in the tank still. Where would I find this stuff? There isnt a pet shop in my town, but there is a walmart is that fine?

SabrenaLeigh said:
I have 6 fish in the tank still. Where would I find this stuff? There isnt a pet shop in my town, but there is a walmart is that fine?

Yes, walmart should have Prime and the test kit. Both IMO are essential to an aquarium.

If you can get those, use them and read up on cycling with fish we can offer more assistance once we know what's what with your tank.

Ok! I will get them ASAP!! Would it hurt to wait until the early morning, I have 3 small kids and no vehicle and my husband is at work and wont be home

ok so I got the stuff, walmart only had Jungle brand things instock, I got a start right complete water conditioner and I followed the directions and the testing kit I got was jungle quick dip ph test strips (i will get the better kind when my husband gets his check) and now its reading neutral. is there anything else I should or shouldnt do at this point?

SabrenaLeigh said:
ok so I got the stuff, walmart only had Jungle brand things instock, I got a start right complete water conditioner and I followed the directions and the testing kit I got was jungle quick dip ph test strips (i will get the better kind when my husband gets his check) and now its reading neutral. is there anything else I should or shouldnt do at this point?

Follow the directions on the water conditioner and do the 50% PWC I mentioned right away. I'd suggest doing a 50% PWC everyday to keep the ammo down and not let it burn the fishes gills.

The tests strips aren't very accurate IMO/E, so I'm not sure you're going to get a good reading from them. Also the ammo (ammonia) test for strips is a seperate test kit and chances are you won't be testing for them with what you have. The API test kit does all the tests and with 800 tests in the kit, you get more for your money and the results are a lot more accurate than strips. Once you have that liquid kit and run a set of tests, then please post your results to help determine what state you tank is in and what to do next.

Don't forget to read up on cycling with fish :D.

Back
Top Bottom