Help my fishes!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishby

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 33 gallon tank with 2 bala sharks, some tetras, and some swordtails. All the fish have been acting a bit strange and recently, one of the bala sharks has developed a reddish bloodlike colouring in his fins! I dont know what it is! Could it be the change in food, or a new light?? Please help 8O

What are your water readings?

PH
Temp
Ammoina
Nitrite

How long have you had this tank running?

When was the last time you did a water change?

Oh yes! that is the strange thing! I took a H20 sample to the local fish store and the ammonia, nitrates and ph are all good. The ph was a little basic? The water change was done 2 weeks ago and the temperature is 74 degrees. The strange thing is the other bala shark is ok. We did just change their food and are now feeding them a colour enhancing food which i think isnt too good. The tank has been running since august sometime.

Since all your levels are coming back normal, I would do another water change, switch back to the other food you were using and lower the Temp in the tank to around 70-71 degrees. Even though they are Tropical fish they will do fine at the lower water temp. As for the fins on the shark it could be the food or an internal hemorage. Being all the fish are acting strange I would go back to your ways before this happened and see what happens. Good luck keep us posted.

EMS503 you make a good point about going back to the original food and making a water change, but...

I've got to disagree with lowering the temp, we already know that changes have been made to the tank, and the occupants are acting different. Lowering the temp will only serve to increase stress levels. 72-74 degrees should be the minimum with the livestock that fishby indicates, and with unusual behavior and discoloration of one fish, an increase in the temp to 76-78 could serve to reduce stress.

The food change could be the culprit as red streaked or hemorrhaging fins are a common indication of vitamin A deficiancy along with loss of appetite and poor growth. But this would take more than just a few days to appear. Also, the enhancing food could create the red coloration but it seems it would be present in both Bala's.

Red streaked or hemorrhaging fins could also indicate ammonia poisoning, septicemia, dropsy or several other diseases.

I would as ems503 said earlier change the food back, do a partial water change, but leave the temp as is or raise it slightly then observe. If the situation worsens or spreads to other tankmates, you should get info on some of the problems I've listed and follow a course of treatment for the one that matches your symptoms.

Hope this was some help... 8O

After a little more research I find that your Temp. will be okay as the Tetras and Bala sharks Temp. ranges from 72-79 degrees & the Swordtails is 64-82. As for lowering the temp. I should have stated the lowering of the temp should be done gradually. This would avoid stressing the fish as fishnutz has stated.

We run our FW tanks at 70-71 degrees and have no problems but our fish are acclimated to that temp. But as has been posted many times what is okay for one tank may not be for another. If your temp. works keep it there as it will not cause any further harm.

The red fins if truly a hemmorage or septicemia can be helped with Maraycn, But I would try switching back to your ways prior to the problem before resorting to medications.

I do hope some of these suggestions from this group will be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom