Help, my guppies all die this way. WHY??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's fine, if you an air stone, then put it in the bucket so it has aeration

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I don't. For now she's swimming. I had a danio who didn't look good earlier and when I went to put the guppy in the bucket he was floating. I scooped him and to my surprise he jumped. So I put him in a bucket in the bucket. I am sure he won't make it. He's upside down then does a spaz swim and does same over again. My little girl will be so upset if guppy doesn't make it, she loves them but you know. I am totally flustered It's 4am and here I am awake worried about her fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Angelfish are related to pirranas, why would they tell you it's ok to keep it with guppies.

omg seriously..... i guess i am going to have to see if they will take him back.. this really ticks me off, majorly... i have a little 6 yr old girl who has been watching guppy after guppy die..

I would not only take them back but if you can remember which employee sold them to you try to get those guppies replaced

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

angels are not related to piranhas they are cichlids , and there main diet is small fish and insects , shrimp
guppies are one of there favorite foods and it is often used when an angel refuses to eat
I would not go to any fish store that tells you there good together , neons also make a great snack food for angels

And that's mainly my tank. Guppies, danios, neons, and other tetras. I brought angel back and got 2 guppies. Ironically it was the store owner who told me. Family owned business since 1969.

What fish are living in your tank ?
What species ?
How many ?

A bully can def kill other fish or keep them from eating.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
7 guppies and 12 tetras. Tank is 20 gal long

That's a lot of fish.
Livebearers like Guppies are pretty messy for their size.

What kind of Tetras ? There are a ton of species.

I don't think you are overstocked necessarily, but I would not add ANY new fish till all of your current stock are staying healthy.

Keep up partial water changes every week. At least 25-30%.
50% is even better.

Make sure the temperature matches and use Prime or another dechlorinator.

Tiny baby Angels might be ok, but once they get comfortable Angels like to rule the tank. And yes, they eat any fish that fit in their mouth. Plus a 20Long isn't tall enough for an Angel to grow. They need deeper tanks. At least a 20high-29g for their tall fins.

I do the above regularly but more like
80 % water changes

i have neons, danio, snow tetra and the color snow tetra. the angel fish has been traded, i didnt realize that she was not a good match for my stock. i also was advised that chineese alage eaters are very agressive, and after reading up on them, i see this was an awaful choice. so by process of elimination i am getting there... i have put a couple in my frog tank and the others go to LFS for trade... thank you all for your help. i sure hope the problem is now resolved.

Yes ciclids, predatory fish with teeth, maybe not related to, but similar to piranhas. why would anyone tell someone to keep them with any small fish tho.......

Nice. I was admiring their beautiful ck

What fish are living in your tank ?
What species ?
How many ?

A bully can def kill other fish or keep them from eating.

7 guppies and 12 tetras. Tank is 20 gal long

You said "Guppies, danios, neons, and other tetras" and then said 7 gippies and 12 teras? Whats in this 20g long tank?

I've been suspecting somethings going on from when I started reading and 6 pages in I think you have way to many fish, are having ammonia issues and maybe filter issues.

Seriously... Exactly how many fish are there? and if you are having issues stop buying new fish every day until you get this figured out.

What are you using for a filter? Do you replace the carbon monthly? and don't replace all the filter media at once, doing something like that with that many fish can mess stuff up.

The usually rule is 1" of fish per gallon (this is just a thumb rule), so 20"s of fish, you seem to have at least 20 individual fish. You should have the filter capacity for a 20-50gallon tank and you should be dooing 25% water changes weekly.

That's a lot of fish.
Livebearers like Guppies are pretty messy for their size.

What kind of Tetras ? There are a ton of species.

I don't think you are overstocked necessarily, but I would not add ANY new fish till all of your current stock are staying healthy.

Keep up partial water changes every week. At least 25-30%.
50% is even better.

Make sure the temperature matches and use Prime or another dechlorinator.

Tiny baby Angels might be ok, but once they get comfortable Angels like to rule the tank. And yes, they eat any fish that fit in their mouth. Plus a 20Long isn't tall enough for an Angel to grow. They need deeper tanks. At least a 20high-29g for their tall fins.

I do the above regularly but more like
80 % water changes

i have neons, danio, snow tetra and the color snow tetra. the angel fish has been traded, i didnt realize that she was not a good match for my stock. i also was advised that chineese alage eaters are very agressive, and after reading up on them, i see this was an awaful choice. so by process of elimination i am getting there... i have put a couple in my frog tank and the others go to LFS for trade... thank you all for your help. i sure hope the problem is now resolved.
you have alge eaters to? I'm so confused.

Don't feel to bad about the anglefish I know lots of LFS have given me and friends miss information.

Yes ciclids, predatory fish with teeth, maybe not related to, but similar to piranhas. why would anyone tell someone to keep them with any small fish tho.......

Nice. I was admiring their beautiful ck

LFS sold my friends sister in law an oscar for a community tank ha.

Even in your bio it says "i have a 20 gallon long tank with guppies, several different kinds of tetras, glo fish, neons, 1 angle fish and a couple i cant recall what they are. i also have a 10 gallon with 2 koi and an african albino frog. both tanks have the 'sucker' fish to help me keep them clean."

Now I know you probably wrote that before this thread but koi in a 10 gallon? and I hope the "sucker fish" are the chinease alge eaters and that you don't have common plecos in there as well. You seem to have just walked through the fish store and bought a hand full of what ever fish you thought were cool.

I think the best thing you could do is probably get a bigger tank like a 29 or 45 or 55 gallon to keep all these fish in. You can keep a lot of fish in a 20 gallon up to a point but your finding out the hard way why this isn't recommended for beginners. You would have been much better off with like 6 happy neons than a whole bunch of confused sick fish. We are going on 7 pages of a forum thread and we still don't have the whole picture, can we maybe have a couple pics of the whole tank?

I would also suggest making a thread (or continuing this one) and asking about every purchase or change you want to make to the tank on here until you are confident in your knowledge, It will save you lots of trips to the store, taking fish back and dealing with dead or sick fish along with the frustration of miss information.

At this point for all I know you could be doing water changes by carrying the whole fishtank and dumping it out into the sink or something (I'm not saying your doing that but you have been side stepping a lot of questions or not answering them completely so I don't really know what your level of fish knowledge is or whats going on in your 20 gallon tank).

Taking care of fish really isn't that complicated but if you are doing 1 little thing way way wrong then trying to fix all the other stuff wont help. If your temperature is to high there might not be enough oxygen for all those fish, idk maybe the LFS told you to keep your temp at 82 degrees or something idk. Or if you have a really small like "5-20 gallon filter" that isn't going to be enough for all those fish.

Back in the day I was sold 4 male guppies with no females and they all wound up fighting and dying so stuff happens, but am a lot smarter now and ignore a lot of what I am told in person because I know better.

For my tank I have a 29g, Aqueon LED light, fluval C4 filter and E200 heater with 5 turquoise rainbow fish, a 3.5" rainbow shark and a 6" common pleco that I just moved to my 120 gallon tank which the rainbows will be going into also. I was only keeping them in the 29 until I got my big tank set up. In the big tank I have the pleco and a pictus cat fish with 2 tetra whisper 60's for filter but will be getting a fluval FX6 very soon. I also have a piece of drift wood with a java fern on it.

That is what I have and everyone knows whats going on. This is the kind of info we need to know about your tank other wise we are all kind of shooting in the dark trying to help.

I'm not sure why confused. My original post I listed what I have. I don't really see the point of listing each one over and over. To sum it up it comes up with about the # of guppies and the # of tetras. I think I also stated I had 2 sucker fish, HAD. Also I said I am doing water changes which I do about every 7-10 days anywhere from 50-80% change. My water is tested offer and has always tested right on (idk the numbers) according to the calculator I am stocked but not over stocked. It warned about angel fish which I took to lfs for credit. I'm not a genius by any means here. I took the last reply as kinda of insulting and a "call out". All I have said is consistent. So I am not sure why the confusion.
Anyway I think or hope I found the problem - a BULLY, one of my sucker fish was a chineese alge eater. They are aggressive and more so because the tanks so clean with the water changes it wasn't getting enough so went for the next best, my guppies. My fingers are crossed this was the fish. I feel confidant it was a bully because the last dead guppy had no eyes and it was a matter of half hour that I noticed it, and it got 1 eye on another one.

Back
Top Bottom