Help, my guppies all die this way. WHY??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure why confused. My original post I listed what I have. I don't really see the point of listing each one over and over. To sum it up it comes up with about the # of guppies and the # of tetras. I think I also stated I had 2 sucker fish, HAD. Also I said I am doing water changes which I do about every 7-10 days anywhere from 50-80% change. My water is tested offer and has always tested right on (idk the numbers) according to the calculator I am stocked but not over stocked. It warned about angel fish which I took to lfs for credit. I'm not a genius by any means here. I took the last reply as kinda of insulting and a "call out". All I have said is consistent. So I am not sure why the confusion.
Anyway I think or hope I found the problem - a BULLY, one of my sucker fish was a chineese alge eater. They are aggressive and more so because the tanks so clean with the water changes it wasn't getting enough so went for the next best, my guppies. My fingers are crossed this was the fish. I feel confidant it was a bully because the last dead guppy had no eyes and it was a matter of half hour that I noticed it, and it got 1 eye on another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
But you didn't list what you had? Your ogional post says
Please help me out here, i am a newbie here and only had my tank since May. For the most part all the fish i have gotten are good, with a death here or there but my guppies are another story. I have lost about 5 the same way, WHY? what am i doing wrong here.. I just had to put one to sleep (thankfully i learned on here how, so he didnt suffer long). Anyways they are fine and then Bang they start to act almost high, they get dopey acting, bump into the glass, then they 'get stuck' (lack of better words) to the filter, they flop around, get startled and swim off like crazy only to sink to the bottom they hit the gravel do a couple flips and back up and swimming. They will do this up to a couple hours but the end result is always the same - death. I am getting tired of my guppies dying and my 6 yr old doesnt need to see fish dying off after a week, especially like that... am i doing something wrong?? i had my water tested and it was great a touch hard but everything else was right on..
and then the second post was some pictures

You keep saying guppies and tetras but also said something about danios and glow fish and I'm just really lost on actually how many fish there are, right now in your 20 gallon tank.

So there are no more sucker fish in the tank now? You don't really need them to "clean the tank" as long as the tank isn't in bright sun light the alge shouldn't be an issue.

What kind of filter is on your tank?

Danio is part of the tetra family. I have tetras which I listed, paint not glo ( my bad), neon and the others I mentioned, I have 1 sucker fish cat kind. The filter is for 20 gal. Idk name of it. I am a single mom. So I keep what I need for my kids in memory. The rest I check out. So what I mean is for the kind of filter I know I have what I need for my tank. When I get new filter cartarage I look at the name, water perimeters no I don't know the exact number but I know they are in a great range. Not being rude here just honest. I thought fish would be easy. Yes I'm learning the hard way, but key is I am learning.

Danios are NOT part of the Tetra family.

Tetras are Characins
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetra

They are usually from South America

Danios are Cyprinidae
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danio

They come from South East Asia

The reason We are asking for specific species of your fish is so we can advise you about long term compatibility.

Some Tetras get bigger and aggressive.
Some Danios get large.
Not all species like same temperature or same PH.

You should look up each of your fish and learn their species and Common name.

Then you can actually list what lives in your tanks. I know it doesn't seem important, but if you ever need advice it helps us to help you.

Esp with kids, they hate to see fish die. So knowing if you have a Giant Danio that's going to grow to 4" or a White Cloud that will stay under 2" can be important.

We are just trying to help, not nag. If you don't care enough to learn your fish names then we can't help you very well.

Danios and Tetras should live in groups of the exact same species for best results. Most of us advise 6 or more of each species. They can become super nervous or aggressive if they are kept as singles or in too small a group.

So down the road as you restock, you may want to plan better.

AqAdvisor can give you basic ideas about what will fit your tank.
http://aqadvisor.com

This thread has gotten out of control. I will say this and be done, all the fish stores here list it as danio tetra size max 1.5". I read as much as I can on the fish I have or would like to get down the road. I'm a single, busy mother who cannot reasearch in full about everything, I get the information that is needed, no I don't remember every single thing and I don't know the scientific names. I joined this site in hopes ppl would help and to share what I have learned, not to feel like I am being humiliated or poked at because I am unable to study 24/7 on all information and aspects of aquatic fish. This was supposed to be enjoyable yes with work and learning but really I don't have the option like some ppl do. With that said I'm done with this thread and if I could i would remove it. Try helping opposed to being a know it all bully. Share your knowledge. As for those who seem to think I don't gather my needed info your wrong. My child needs me and what stays in memory is things for her. I say this as kindly as I could with getting my point across. Good day and happy Sunday. Enjoy your families too.

I hope the OP sticks around. This is a good place. I would love to give good advice. It is frustrating as a new person when the store lets you down.

And them tagging the fish Danio Tetras is so irresponsible of them. I apologize for misunderstanding. It's the store's fault for using that wording.

If you stick around and feel like it, post pics of your tank and fish we can help you know what you have and what to expect down the road.

You can also take pics of the store signs and we can let you know more info that way also.

I was tired when I posted and I came across as rude.

I'm passionate about fish and that gets in the way sometimes.

Please accept my apology and please stick around.

My family has 4 Legs, feathers and fins. We had a lazy Sunday.

Ok, the OP has been learning her fish names that her store gave her bad info on.

Steep learning curve, but she's trying to do what's right for the fish. Her store really sold her a bunch of stuff that isn't good together.

If you see her post again, go easy.

Back
Top Bottom