HELP!! my guppies tails been chewed off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

commonground00

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my female guppy has been in the tank for only 72 hours and her tail has been chewed up by my mollies and platies that have been in the tank. Please help me solve the problem:confused::confused::confused:

Best thing you can do is isolate her in a breeder net or a different aquarium to let her heal. Chances are the guppy will never be able to live peacefully in that aquarium, aggression is a hard thing to fix.

Not sure how much this will help, but when I introduced my 3 male guppies into my tank, one of them was a little bugger and kept biting the other 2 on the tail and body. I added melafix for fin rot on one of the guppies that was being worsened by the aggressive guppy, durring and after the treatment the biting stopped. Melafix is all natural but it will disrupt your filter bacteria because it is antibacterial. It also helps with stress and introducing new fish. I dont know if this is the route you want to go, but its an option if you have painted yourself into a corner.

thanks Im going to the pet store for the melafix but what do I do with the plattie that likes to chew tails...

I moved her to the 10 gallon tank for the treatment since there is no fry or babys there right now

Your Guppies

my female guppy has been in the tank for only 72 hours and her tail has been chewed up by my mollies and platies that have been in the tank. Please help me solve the problem:confused::confused::confused:

Hello com...

Guppies are best kept in a tank by themselves, because any fish no matter how peaceful they are will make a target of the Guppy's tail. The best thing to do, since you have Guppies with other livebearers, is to heavily plant the tank with floating plants. This will give the bullied fish a place to hide. Anacharis (common water weed), Pennywort and Hornwort all good floating plants. Drop as many stems into the tank water as you can, these plants don't need to be planted in the substrate.

B

thanks Im going to the pet store for the melafix but what do I do with the plattie that likes to chew tails...

Im not too sure unfortunately, i had to treat my whole tank with the malafix and it wasent a big deal because it was uncycled to begin with, so the malafix was used in the tank with the aggressive guppy and since it is a stress reliever he calmed down.

Oh, and just so you know, malafix smells a little like a vics vapor rub or kinda minty and your tank will smell like that for a while too. Just make sure you take out any active carbon filters or the malafix will be all for naught.

death

sadly she has died and another one of my fish is getting bullied but Im setting up a new tank especially for my guppies
I bought melafix a new 10 gallon tank and some new plants for the aquarium
the guppies will move in tomorrow
:(

Im very sorry for you loss :( It sucks trying to save them, but having them pass away, I just lost 3 in one day this past week.

I hope your current guppies will be very happy in their new tank, and the little bully calms himself down!

cant get the picture to upload srry but an update another female has had its tail torn off and died soon after. I kept her in the breeders net to keep her away from the other guppies. I gues today is not my day...

I'm very sorry for your losses, I hope you have better luck, and the fin nipper settles down.
Don't give up!

Sorry about your guppies, that is a tough thing to see

I've got 4 tanks with hundreds of guppies. The only other fish I dare add are plecos; snails and shrimp are ok, too. Other Fish will target guppies tails. Guppies with long tails cannot swim fast like fish with shorter tails so they are disadvantaged.

A note of information: Melaflix does nothing to cure injuries, it is not antibacterial ( so it does nothing to your cycle) and it does not calm fish down. It conains tea tree oil (hence the fermented minty smell). Tea tree oil is used on pets to deter fleas and has a soothing effect on minor wounds. But it is not an antibiotic nor an antiseptic.

Please ask any questions. I hope you don't give up on guppies. They have are fun to watch, pretty and have big personalities. :)

im ordering another pair of black moscows to fill in for the 2 American whites so I hope they come in soon

Back
Top Bottom