HELP! My new additions are dying one by one!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarrenMarisa

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a 80 litre medium planted tank that was set up in August 2012.

Our filter has the following:
- Filter Sponge
- Bioballs
- Ceramic Rings
- Peat to lower hardness

We initially started with the following:
1 x Bronze Cory
1 x Peppered Cory
5 x Xray tetras
1 x Red Fin Shark
2 x Blue Gouramies
6 x Mollies (they bred and we are 3 babies richer!)
3 x Apples Snails

We quickly learned about the Nitrogen cycle and thankfully did not lose any fish! The guys at our fish store gave us Tetra safe start which overcame the much discussed cycling problem relatively quickly. Everything went very well from here but unfortunately 1 snail died Mid September.

We went on a 2 week break at the end of September and after giving the caretaker a full training session as to the care of the tank and the fish we only lost the other 2 snails. The one snail was removed as soon as it was found and the other disappeared. When we returned we found the empty shell in the filter with no sign of the body.

The day we left I did a 25% water change and added Tetra easy balance to ensure the freshest water for our fishies while we were away.

He followed the following procedure while we were away:
- Feeding every 2nd day
- Tested Nitrites once a week which was at acceptable levels all the time
- Added Tetra easy balance once a week to enable the skip of the water change

When we returened there was a lot of brown algae but all tests were normal. I also did a 25% water change as soon as we came back.

We returned with some more fish:
2 x Red Robin Gouramies
2 x Thick Lipped Gouramies
2 x Albino Corydoras
1 x Peppered Corydora
1 x Bronze Corydora
1 x Albino Bristle nosed Catfish

When I introduced the new fish I first adjusted the PH of the bag water with the tank water over a period of about 60 min until it reached the same PH. (Store PH 7.5, Tank PH 8.2). I then floated the bag for about 30 min and gently added the fish to the tank.

We also added (on reccomendation from the fish store) the following:
- Phosphate pad (This was supposed to reduce the phosphates in the tank)
- Don't know what it is called but it's small white balls in a bag that are supposed to stabilize your tank. These balls goes brown when spent.
- Waterlife 7.2 PH Buffer to try and get the PH down a bit (I have used this before without success but in half the dose I used on Monday)
- They also recommended that I add Bloodworms to their diet. I have only been feeding the brine shrimps the day before their water change.

I also added Toxivec because as my PH is high almost any ammonia is harmful.

Day 3 of adding the new fish and filter media we lost a thick lipped gourami. He looked a little lethargic in the morning and was found dead on his side at the bottom of the tank about 30min later. We assumed that this was possibly PH shock.

Day 4 of adding the new fish we lost a red robin gourami. She was found floating belly up in the top of the tank after not showing any stress.

I started to examine each fish and found that both Blue Gouramies and 7 of the 8 Mollies have Ick. We removed the carbon, peat, phosphate pad and stabiliser and started treatment with Protozin. We have been adding 2ml over a period of an hour for 2 days now.

This evening (Day 5) I noticed that the Bristle nosed catfish was lying on her side. I nudged her straight but she did not seem to respond much. The red finned shark also nibbled on her but she did not respond. Once she quickly got up and cleaned the gravel for about 5 second and then just assumed her position again. Sadly 30 min later she was dead in the same position.

I am worried about the remaining Thick lipped gourami as she tends to stay at the bottom of the tank and is not accepting food. I rubbed a pellet underneath her close to her mouth and no attempt was made to eat any of the particles in the water. I have also tried to feed her bloodworms and brine shrimps with no success. She does however come to the top for a bit but then just goes back down and sits on the gravel. The red robin gourami also concerns us at he goes through periods of lethargy and then seems fine again. He does however eat when food is offerred.

I have so far done 3 x 15 litre water changes (since we returned) with filtered water (filtered through carbon and a sediment remover) to assist in the removal of the Brown Algae and to lower the phosphates.

We've had black algae on the leaves of the plants about a month ago but as soon as we reduced the amount of light in the tank it hasn't increased any more. I have also found Thread Algae and we remove this as soon as it appears.

We run the light during the day for 10 hours and the airstone at night for 10 hours. Since we started the treatment we are running the airstone 24hours. We have also increased the temperature by about 2 deg Celcius.

I must add that we are very strict about water changes and except for the 1 skipped while we were away we change water at least once a week or as soon as we see a colour change or debris at the bottom. We ALWAYS use a gravel vacuum and ALWAYS add Sera Aquatan when replacing water. I have also added Tetra PlantaMin for the plants. We feed Sera Vipan Flakes for the general fish and Tetra TabiMin Tablets for the Cories. In the last week I have also fed them Brine shrimps once and Bloodworms twice.

Our current conditions are as follows (using Sera liquid test kits):
PH: 8 (According to liquid test & PH Pen 8.2)
KH: 14 dKH
GH: 17 dGH
PO4: 5mg/l (although this was tested with the addition of filtered water as we don't have distilled water)
NH4: 0 - 0.5mg/l (predominantly yellow with a green tinge)
NH3: 0.03 mg/l
NO2: 0 - 0.5 mg/l (predominantly yellow with an orange tinge)
NO3: 20 mg/l

I know from the results above that the tank is going through a mini cycle due to the addition of new fish. With the initial fish we had a major spike of 5mg/l for 3 days and no fish died so I can't think that this is the cause.

NO3, PH - This has always been on the higher side and have not been able to reduce it effectively
PO4 - I know this is high but have not yet been able to reduce this effectively.

Last night I did a 20l water change including a thorough gravel vaccum. I add Aquatan and Toxivec just in case and added Tetra safe start to give the bacteria a boost. I also restarted the treatment for Ick as I would have removed some of the medicine with the water change. While I did the water change I found one of the albino cory's dead.

This morning my remaining red robin gourami was floating vertically in the water. It was responsive when I tried to move it and actually tried to swim away. He did manage to get himself from the bottom to the top of the tank. I seperated it into a breeding net to keep the current off him.
I thought that it might have been swim bladder disease. Sadly he died about 4 hours later.

Please help if you have any valuable input. I am absolutely mortified that these fishies are dying off and that somewhere I'm doing something wrong. We have these fish for our pleasure and relaxation and right now we are feeling quite miserable about the whole thing! We do love our fishies and don't want any more to die! :(

I used an online calculator to get these results (one which was shared here by another member) based on 20 US gallons, not knowing what filter you are using:

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor....AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

Quantity:
I entered in all the fish you have but didn't get to Apple snails. Those grow to the size of an apple, by the way.

Selected species:

Total selected: 28 fishes.

Note: Albino Bristlenose Pleco needs driftwood.
Note: Red Tailed Black Shark may jump - lids are recommended.
Warning: Red Tailed Black Shark is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 5 inches.
Suggestion: If you want to keep more than 1 Molly, minimum recommend male to female ratio is 1:2 (M:F). You will be less likely to experience problem if you get even more females.

Recommended temperature range: 24 - 26 C. [Display in Farenheit]
Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.2.
Recommended hardness range: 11 - 15 dH.

Your tank is too small - it will require massive amount of frequent water changes each week!

Your aquarium stocking level is 209%.
Your tank is seriously overstocked. Unless this setup is temporary, you should consider a larger tank. [Generate Image]

To new tropical fish keepers: AqAdvisor.com is a tool/calculator that helps you determine your tropical fish stocking plans. It does not guarantee that the selected species will completely get along in the long run. We are making every efforts to identify potential problems and display them as warnings, but this takes time as knowledge database grows. Through weekly releases, accuracy will improve gradually. We highly recommend you to do further research, discuss results on your favorite aquarium forums and websites. Your favorite aquarium forums won't necessarily endorse or agree with the recommendations reported by AqAdvisor.com. Use AqAdvisor.com to get general stocking recommendations but do your own research BEFORE buying any species. We highly recomend that new tropical fish keepers understock (less than 100%) their aquarium tanks.

I hope you can find a balance that works for you and your fish. I've learned a lot since joining here in July, and I know that if you will just keep reading what others do/have done here who are successful, you will be too. Sorry about your losses.

That sums it up well. You have way to many fish in your tank.

I "must add that we are very strict about water changes and except for the 1 skipped while we were away we change water at least once a week or as soon as we see a colour change or debris at the bottom. We ALWAYS use a gravel vacuum and ALWAYS add Sera Aquatan when replacing water".

A 50% water change weekly is not going to do it. maybe twice a week if not more.

But with that many fish a bigger tank is really what you need.

The original apple snails all died. Why is this btw? I currently have 1 baby apple snail about 2mm big, 1 unidentified one about 5mm (I think I got the with the plants) and MANY unidentified snails all ranging up to about 1mm. If they survive the medicine and manage to grow I will donate them.

Tank specs are 455x490x495mm and the filter flows at 1100l/h. What is this in gUS?

Water changes do not bother me at all. As I said before I change the water as soon as I see a change. Even uneatean flakes at the bottom is cleaned as soon as I see it. Besides the one week that was skipped (which won't happen again) there was only once when the water change was done 7 days after the previous one. I normally change about twice a week and sometimes even three or four times a week. Water changes are always 10l or more.

Rehoming is unfortunately not an option as the closest (proper) town is 3 hours away. I do not have the means to succesfully relocate them. How do you suggest I go from here?

I have learned a lot from all these forums but have not been able to get a proper answer on this problem hence my questions!

I'd say that you should not add any more fish, that's for sure. 28 fish in that tank is a lot - it's about a 20 gallon, from what I figured.

Do you have the means to get a bigger tank?

I have also read on here not to mess with the pH - as long as it's stable, that should be fine.

My concern with the PH is more with the addition of fish. I definitely do not want to shock them!

No means for a bigger tank as I just do not have the space.

Well the fish are down to 23 (including 3 baby mollies). All the old fish are alive and so far I only have 4 new survivors. Very sad about this!

How would water changes affect the medicine I'm administering? Can I go ahead with more frequent water changes?

You were able to get more fish in addition to what you already had, so I''m not sure how you are not able to return some fish to the place you got them.

Until you accept the fact that you have too many fish in a small tank, they are going to continue to die. Eco systems (our aquariums) don't care if we are "sad", but are going to scientifically work themselves out with the laws of nature.

At this point, not to be rude, but you are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Clearancepuppy is right!

Worrying about your PH is not your first priority. Your fish are producing to much waste that your system can't handle. If you can't lessen the amount of fish in the tank. Your only option at this point is daily water changes of 50 to 70 percent and hope for the best. don't change any filters. just water

Tbh next time you go into town rehome most of them. If y can't get a bigger tank that is a very big issue. Your only option is to rehome them.

Back
Top Bottom