Help! My poor discus...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camelot_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My prized fish developed small white spots on its head and now they look like worms growing out of his head and its face is red and looks concave ... My thoughts and self diagnosis are that its ick, problem is that since discus are so fragile is my only option raising the temperature?

Attachments

• image-844844281.jpg
    image-844844281.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 643
  • image-253685033.jpg
    image-253685033.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 142
From your photos and description, it looks like a very serious bacterial infection. Place fish in a 10G with sponge filter, heater, and airstone. Bifuran (jungle fungus eliminator) and Kanamycin together may save your fish. Lower the temps to 78 degrees. Change your water 100% a day and redose both meds for 10 days. If you need to wait to have these shipped, add methylene blue to your water for now and change and redose everyday. If you don't have meth blue, then add 1 tabls. of salt. Keep us updated.

Seachem KanaPlex | Fish Bacteria & Fungus Medications

Antibacterial Fish Medication: Furan-2

Furan 2 may be found in your local petstore. Kanaplex is usually found online only. I would start the Furan 2 immediately if you can get some.

I have the fish quarantine with all of your specifications and I actually had kanaplex?! Woooohooooo! I'm hoping and praying he makes it...

Next question though should I treat the tank he was in with kanaplex as well??

No, I believe antibiotics should be used in QT only. I would still get the Furan 2 since it is a very good antibiotic against gram negative and works well with Kanaplex.

Make sure you change out your water daily and feed only before changing the water (if the fish is hungry) and very lightly.

Main tank - do a massive clean - wipe down the tank walls, dump filter water, wipe down filter walls, rinse media in a bucket of tank water. Vacuum substrate. Change water in tank 85% today, 50% tomorrow. How big is your tank? Do you have more discus in there?

It was in a 45 gallon, He was the only discus but there used to be another and I'm wondering if it was for the same reasons that it died. Lots to do tomorrow morning and I will run our to my lfs and grab they other medication.

And you said %100 WC everyday for the quarantine tank?

Thanks for all of the help I really appreciate it!

Your welcome! I have discus too, and it's high stress when they are not well. I would change 100% a day - you could split this at 50% AM and 50% PM, redosing 50% of the drugs each time. This probably is the easiest to do. For discus, even 2 in a tank, I would change the water 50% every other day or more, esp. if you have high bio load fish like plecos. They like extremely clean water. I also run a UV on my 45G with 3 discus and change water every other day 75%. I do know discus keepers who only do a 100% a week if its a barebottom tank and they have only adults and feed once a week.

Looks like it might be the start of HITH. Sadly, it's usually a death sentence for Discus. I would give what Berylla said a try though, the high water changes may be the best thing for him. High protein and nutrient rich diets also help.

I've done as instructed no changes as of yet, good or bad. Only time will tell I suppose...

It's takes time for the antibiotics to work. Are you using both?

Also, stop feeding to keep the water quality as clean as possible. Remember, it's a 10 day treatment. Please post new pixes when you can.

Did everything I could for the poor guy but he went to fishy heaven today :'(

The sores actually looked like they were getting better, he looked more lively. Then on the 9th day his colour faded by morning and when I got home from work he was gone.

Back
Top Bottom