HELP!!!! My thermometer broke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

V p1839

Aquarium Advice Regular
I woke up this morning trying to find out where this glass came from. It turns out my goldfish must have knocked into it enought to break my glass thermometer. I have plants in the tank, do I need to get new ones? Do you think they picked up the mercury? I'm doing a complete overhaul to my tank. New gravel, decoration tubes. Is there a way to wash the decorations? Should I just throw them away? I need help!

Dont panic! First of all, if you plan on doing a tank overhaul anyway, you will be removing any bits of glass or mercury (which turns into little balls once its out of a thermometer). I would just rinse any plants or decor in some dechlorinated water. A couple of good grav vacs should remove any remaining debris. What you will have to do is to watch your fish carefully for any signs they may have swallowed bits of glass or mercury. If they have, unfortunately there is not much you will be able to do to help them unless a shard of glass is stuck in their mouth (remove with blunt-edged tweezers). Hopefully, they havent!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Very few thermometers these days actually use mercury, and instead use alcohol. Only precise laboratory thermometers generally still employ mercury. If it was red in color, it is alcohol. The little beads in the bottom are just weights to keep the bottom end down.

Get whatever you can out of the tank as far as glass, but beyond that, there is probably not much cause for concern.

Thank you both! I feel much better. He seems fine, but i think he cut it fancy tail a bit.

So far I changed all the water. Put in new rock since I had spare. New filter that I've been waiting to use. Re did my bubbles. Took out my underwater filter since its useless. And re entered my goldfish and ottos back into the tank.

I know its now in a fish IN cycle, but I've done it before and i'm hoping for the best.

Wanted to let everyone know my GF and ottos are doing fine. My plants are also, most of them. I think I only lost 2.

Back
Top Bottom