HELP!!! need info on meds and affects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uwmaniac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
55 gal planted
diy co2
new cannister filter with whisper 60 and power head going
ph 6.6 -7 past 2 days
nitrate 70 (tons of water changes cant get it down)
nitrite-0
ammonia-0

i just bought a dojo loach and a new plant (anubias i think) and had them in my planted 10 gal for a few days then put into 55 gal, two days later my girlfriend noticed fin rot on male guppy (older) and decided to med both tanks since i was out of town for a few days. i think she used minocycline white tums sized tablet with a M on it and line under the M. LFS said one tablet per 10 gal. three days into meds (doing water changes before dosing 25% about) have now lost betta, rasbora, no neons lost (have 15 ) honey gold guarami and now my dojo is messed up, in just a couple of hours hes gone down hill, he has small red dots on him, looks like somthing small growing on his head and his eyes are cloudy moved him out of tank with fresh water thought it might be meds heard something about scaleless fish being affected. could someone or everyone please PLEASE help, i dont want to loose anymore fish and i really dont want my dojo to go.....

To late, after seperating dojo into quaritine he started swimming more eraticly and 7 hours later finally gave up. if anyone could tell me for future refrence if what i have was maricyn or maricyn two. lfs not very helpful and if either of these harm loachs or any other types of fish. im thinking it was the meds that killed my betta as there were no previous signs of infection or problems. any help would be appretiated..

sad aquarium owner....

come on people, numerous views and no advice, please help, dont be scared just let me know whats on your mind,

Sorry I wasn't online yesterday. First thing, quit using those meds. Second do a large water change and add fresh carbon to the filter. I am not sure which meds your girlfriend ended up using. What kind of test kit are you using? I would be suspicious about the accuracy due to your nitrate readings. I would take the water to the lfs and have them run another test. It sounds a lot like ammonia/nitrite poisoning. Did you keep the old filter on the tank or did you just swtich to a new filter?

i kept the old filter running, put one of the old bio bags into the new filter and put a power head with a filter on it, the test kits isnt that old but it is time to get them to test it, and i asked a couple of other store and they think it might have been marycin 1 not twot. so now im pissed, have lost almost a dozen fish, and its not helping the guppys in the ten gallon, ive also heard that salt is another way to cure fin rot, how much should i add, other than that ive already did a 45% water change and put in carbon, and another product from seachem to get rid of meds, hope this is the end of a pointless loss.....

I would not add salt to the tank, there really is no need. Keep up on the water changes, every 2-3 days for about a week or so to get rid of the meds. Usually, fin rot can be overcome with simply a water change, and whenever you see your fish with any sort of fin ailment...change the water. 90% of the time, that cures the problem.

Sorry for all your losses. :(

IMHO a lot of the chemical additives are just a marketing scam to get you to spend more money. I would not recommend any chemical additives that you can not test for.

I also do not recommend adding any more meds. What brand of test kits are you using? Liquid test kits are more accurate than test strips.

As I recommended add fresh carbon to your filter and keep doing water changes.

At the first sign of something wrong, you should be thinking water change. Doesn't really matter what the issue is, water change. Second, it doesn't matter what the meds she got was. You can't use meds at full strength with loaches in the tank. I don't even like to use them at half strength. Raising the temp seems to work for not only ich, but other diseases as well. With that though, you have to add aeration, as warmer water doesn't hold as much O2 as colder. If you are going to use meds, you better have tough, non-scaleless fish, and stick with maracyn or maracyn II. Otherwise, the only other med I would use is melafix.

I've cured a tank full of clown loaches with ich, bad case, with:
day 1:
80% wc, dose melafix, increase heat 4 deg every 8-12hrs until 88deg
day 2 -5:
80% wc, dose melafix

Sure, not the same disease, but the point is water quality, and reducing the amount of contaminant in the water.

Back
Top Bottom