Help needed with velvet disease... I think.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dangreen7

Aquarium Advice Regular
One of my Platies (recently given birth) has what I believe to be velvet disease, she has what looks like a fuzzy grey/white coating on her tail and back, upon closer inspection it looks like lots of tiny tiny white dots. So is this disease lethal and what do I need to do to treat her? Also just noticed my other to Platies are hiding and bottom sitting but I can't see any spots on them. Any help/info would be awesome. Thanks, ps, is it contagious?

A bit more info, it's a 6 gal semi planted tank with 3 platy and 4 white cloud minnows (a little overstocked I know but was misinformed by my retailer). I have an internal filter, but can't name it specifically. The last time I added a fish was 2-3 weeks ago, she was it. As for water parameters, I will get it tested ASAP!

Heading home but I'm wondering if it could be costia? The white spots are kind of throwing me. Velvet should be more of a brown, gold or black dust.

But it sounds like we're just talking different types of parasites. Just double-checking but not ich - large, white salt grain size?

Over the counter medication for parasites. If a fungal treatment is part of it that would be useful too.

And the test kit to keep an eye on water specs is needed, particularly if using meds.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/costia.php

Thanks for the help, it's defiantly not ich. Here is just about the best photo I can get, do you see the sort of grey stuff towards here tail on the orange one? It sort of shimmers when she moves and can only be clearly seen from certain angles/lighting. Currently they are in more or less complete darkness and I have added aquarium salts to the water. I also just bought some medicine (see photo) do you reckon she as velvet? And is this stuff ok?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400160860.806957.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400160643.377162.jpg

Also, on further inspection they are not really white spots at all, more of just a greyish covering that looks almost like hair the way it shimmers

Sounds ok for the meds. Slime probably refers to costia but on checking didn't think it made sense. Does it say what is in the meds? Any malachite green as that is also anti-fungal.

Any flashing? Anything else they are doing.

Bit hard to tell off the photo but is it possibly excess slime coat with a few spots that might be fungal if it is hairy above body? Or is it pretty much just a shimmer along the body?

Off to bed but parasites plus / minus fungal would be my guess and it's likely that product will cover it.

Edit - reading back, I see what you mean, doesn't look like ich. And if more that one fish has it or they are all on the bottom unhappy that could well be parasites.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help I will add the meds in a few minutes. Here are the ingredients:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400167996.286520.jpg

Let's hope this works, if not I will look into something to treat fungus. Thanks again for all your help, I will keep you posted if you don't mind the hassle! ?

Good luck with it, yes let us know how it all goes. Those ingredients should cover it. Did you end up getting a test water kit at all? Generally I haven't found it much but sometimes the meds will knock the bb around, particularly on prolonged treatments.

Formahydevwill kill anything, benifical bacteria included, that should cover it but maybe have to redo the cycle.

When I went to the fish store I tried to buy I test kit but they advised me against it as they do them for free in store, I live quite close so that's ok for now but u will get my own kit soon just incase they are closed or I can't make it down my self. The results were ph:7.5, ammonia:0, nitrate:40, nitrite:3.0. At first I was confused as have been doing 25% water changes every 3days. However the guy in store said it may be because I have not cleaned my filter yet, which I have now done. Any other ideas on why nitrite/nitrate are high? The tanks been running about 5 weeks now if that helps.

Fish are all looking ok this morning, none are bottom sitting or have fins clamped! You can still see the stuff on my platy but other than that it's looking good so far! ??

When I went to the fish store I tried to buy I test kit but they advised me against it as they do them for free in store, I live quite close so that's ok for now but u will get my own kit soon just incase they are closed or I can't make it down my self. The results were ph:7.5, ammonia:0, nitrate:40, nitrite:3.0. At first I was confused as have been doing 25% water changes every 3days. However the guy in store said it may be because I have not cleaned my filter yet, which I have now done. Any other ideas on why nitrite/nitrate are high? The tanks been running about 5 weeks now if that helps.

Out of interest I have looked up quinine - included the link FYI.

Nitrate is fine really but nitrite is way too high. Is that reading correct?

Edit - forgot to include link :)

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumMedication2.html

That's interesting, I might well use that if the current meds don't clear it up after 7 days. The guy at my pet store did the tests so it could be wrong, what generally could cause such I high reading? I do 25% water changes every 3 days, what else can I do? Thanks again for your help.

Generally it means the cycle is broken (mini-cycle) but when I've had that, it shows as an ammonia spike followed by nitrite spike. I'd pick up a test kit so you can see what is going on. If cost isn't an issue then about the most useful equipment you can have.

High nitrite is not as bad as ammonia but my experience is it weakens the fish. It depends on what is in your tap water for chlorides (salt) which will prevent nitrites harming the fish but anything above 1ppm is dangerous. Known as brown blood disease.

Can I ask what meds you are using at the moment as normally pwc's would be suggested. Also prime (for tap water treatment) will detoxify nitrite. There are others.

Salt will also help. You don't need a lot, the notes I have are 1/15th teaspoon per 10 gal for each 1ppm nitrite. A search on AA or google should find more on this.

Nitrite Poisoning - The Free Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium Encyclopedia Anyone Can Edit - The Aquarium Wiki

Edit - included another link which covers the salt dose as well. It should be well below the level that will harm plants fyi.

http://www.algone.com/using-salt-in-the-freshwater-aquarium

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom