Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-14-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help needed with velvet disease... I think.

One of my Platies (recently given birth) has what I believe to be velvet disease, she has what looks like a fuzzy grey/white coating on her tail and back, upon closer inspection it looks like lots of tiny tiny white dots. So is this disease lethal and what do I need to do to treat her? Also just noticed my other to Platies are hiding and bottom sitting but I can't see any spots on them. Any help/info would be awesome. Thanks, ps, is it contagious?

Old 05-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

A bit more info, it's a 6 gal semi planted tank with 3 platy and 4 white cloud minnows (a little overstocked I know but was misinformed by my retailer). I have an internal filter, but can't name it specifically. The last time I added a fish was 2-3 weeks ago, she was it. As for water parameters, I will get it tested ASAP!

Old 05-14-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

All 3 Platies now bottom sitting with fins clamped! Can anyone help?!?!!?!
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Heading home but I'm wondering if it could be costia? The white spots are kind of throwing me. Velvet should be more of a brown, gold or black dust.

But it sounds like we're just talking different types of parasites. Just double-checking but not ich - large, white salt grain size?

Over the counter medication for parasites. If a fungal treatment is part of it that would be useful too.

And the test kit to keep an eye on water specs is needed, particularly if using meds.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/costia.php
Old 05-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help, it's defiantly not ich. Here is just about the best photo I can get, do you see the sort of grey stuff towards here tail on the orange one? It sort of shimmers when she moves and can only be clearly seen from certain angles/lighting. Currently they are in more or less complete darkness and I have added aquarium salts to the water. I also just bought some medicine (see photo) do you reckon she as velvet? And is this stuff ok?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400160860.806957.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	237295Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400160643.377162.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	237293
Old 05-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Also, on further inspection they are not really white spots at all, more of just a greyish covering that looks almost like hair the way it shimmers
Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Sounds ok for the meds. Slime probably refers to costia but on checking didn't think it made sense. Does it say what is in the meds? Any malachite green as that is also anti-fungal.

Any flashing? Anything else they are doing.

Bit hard to tell off the photo but is it possibly excess slime coat with a few spots that might be fungal if it is hairy above body? Or is it pretty much just a shimmer along the body?

Off to bed but parasites plus / minus fungal would be my guess and it's likely that product will cover it.

Edit - reading back, I see what you mean, doesn't look like ich. And if more that one fish has it or they are all on the bottom unhappy that could well be parasites.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the help I will add the meds in a few minutes. Here are the ingredients:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400167996.286520.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	237302

Let's hope this works, if not I will look into something to treat fungus. Thanks again for all your help, I will keep you posted if you don't mind the hassle! 😄
Old 05-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Good luck with it, yes let us know how it all goes. Those ingredients should cover it. Did you end up getting a test water kit at all? Generally I haven't found it much but sometimes the meds will knock the bb around, particularly on prolonged treatments.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Formahydevwill kill anything, benifical bacteria included, that should cover it but maybe have to redo the cycle.

Tags
disease, sea, velvet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com