Help neon tetras are dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wuzzupghost

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon regular tank with live plants. Right after my cycle finished I added 3 neon tetras. One week later I added three more. My levels stayed good but my fish started dying I lost 4 within a week and then added three more. I'm lost two more fish today. The fish are showing strange symptoms. The first thing I notice is the fish straying away from the school. Next the fish lose there color, the red in the tetras turns more pink. Last there tail becomes missing like it was bitten off even though there are only neons in the tank. This is happening one at a time and the fish show the symptoms and die in about 24 hour time period. I wanna know what is going on and what I should do. Also if all fish die how and what should I do before replacing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I always doing large partial water changes anytime I have concerns about my fish. It's always just in case. I do 50% and use prime and temperature match the water.

What are you feeding ?

I see you keep your temp at 78f ?
Try very gradually lowering to 76f.

Also did you use Salt or meds ? Neons are sensitive.

There is a Neon Tetra disease also. You might google it.

Check all your levels. Make sure what your using to test your water is accurate. What filter are you using could the fish be getting sucked into the intake and losing there tails?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Where do they have the red colour go? Is it fading back from the head or in spots? Possibly bacterial infection would be my thought on above.

Edit - also what is ph?

Ph is 6.5. It is in spots usually closer to the tail

I see you keep your temp at 78f ?
Try very gradually lowering to 76f.

Also did you use Salt or meds ? Neons are sensitive.

There is a Neon Tetra disease also. You might google it.

No salt or meds I don't like adding chemicals if I can help it. And I always heard that salt is bad for tetras that the can't handle it

Ph sounds good.

Do they get bent or twitchy when close to death? Silly question but you're not adding any bacteria in a bottle treatments?

I have found established neons from a mature tank can handle salt but not sure on new ones. I've found they don't like much stress or changes to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom