Help! New Betta Losing His Scales!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
My betta died on Saturday and my mother came home with a new one Sunday, he was perfectly fine yesterday, although he was chasing his reflection, but fins all perfect and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with him. I woke today and his fins are all breaking off, their pale, there's a white mark on one of his side fins and I've just noticed he's lost loads of his scales, on both sides of his back side. I raised the temperature earlier, but now i'm going to put him in a tub with aquarium salt.

What on earth is wrong with him?

The only thing I can think of is, that I added a red tiger lotus bulb and plant on Christmas week and since then I have lost an oto and a betta that I had for years, I assumed he died of bloat as he was quite fat.

My params are

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 10

I don't have a photo but there's nothing in his tank that he could injure himself on. To me it looks like fin rot, there's pieces of his tail all around his tank. Iv kept bettas for a few years and never seen this happen before, it's quite traumatic because yesterday he was purple and today he's turned White from loss of scales. His underneath fin seems to be intact at the moment though and I have him floating in a tub with Aquarium salt for the time being, I'm going to buy melafix tomorrow, in the hope that it will save the poor bugger!

I'd skip the melafix and get Bettafix. It's the same stuff just lower concentration. The melafix is too strong for labyrinth breathers. Keep his water as clean as possible and add a little salt to his tank. If it continues to get worse you may have to look into something stronger like antibiotics (may not be available depending where you are in the world).

Well, I woke this morning and he was dead, all his fins broken off, it was such a sorry scene. To me it looked like fin rot, I noticed when I put him in the tank that his fins were short but he was quite small so I put it down to the fact, that he could be quite young.

@Hholly - I was thinking the same. I read somewhere on here, of a few people getting allergic reactions and started hyperventilating, I don't touch the thing because of that lol

Back
Top Bottom