Help? New heater causes death of fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leofan123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a ten gallon freshwater aquarium that I fishless cycled when I got it about a year and a half ago. I had three male platys, three glofish, and two spotted cory catfish. My heater broke in the summer and I had no time to go buy a new one and it is really hot in the summer where I live so room temp kept the take at about 74 degrees. Recently it has been getting very cold outside and my tank's temp had been slipping down to about 69 degrees or lower. My fish didn't seem to be affected at all but I was worried about them so I ran out and bought an aqueon submersible aquarium heater, 50 watt. I set it to about 76 degrees, left it in the tank unplugged for an hour and then plugged it in and it got my tank to 76. All my fish started to group by the heater and just lay on the gravel. One of my platys looked really sick and about to die. I thought perhaps since there was more heat the oxygen levels were down so I set up an airstone and turned it on. Last night he died and my other fish didn't look good. One of my glofish died this morning and my others, by the way they look, are bound to die today. I have no idea what caused this please help!!!!

I had a heater malfunction in early hours of the morning and killed a betta fish, ran up to 100F

My first thought is that you may have raised the temp to quickly. 10 gallons doesn't take very long at all to heat up. A drastic change in the temp can shock fish. Do you have a thermometer in the tank so you can see what the actual temperature currently is?

Sorry to hear about the loss. Hopefully the last little guy will adjust to the new temp.

It doesn't sound to me like the heater malfunctioned. Unfortunately, its just one of those mistakes that we make as we learn. I had a fancy goldfish happily living in a 30 gallon tank for nearly a year when I decided he needed a heater. At that time I didn't research anything about fish, just made it up as I went. I tossed in a heater and next thing I know the poor guy started having all kinds of problems. It wasn't until after I lost him that I learned goldies don't typically need a heater and the raise in temp was ultimately what killed him.

Thanks for the understanding! I think it was because they had adjusted to the cold tank and the heat was too abrupt. Going to restock soon. Sad about the loss.

Make sure to keep providing the tank with a source of ammonia so the bacteria doesn't die off. If you don't have any fish just drop in flakes everyday until you are ready to restock.

Any thoughts on what you might want to get next?

I was going to get the same fish. Any other ideas? Suggestions welcome!

You might want to go with some of the small rasbora species. Harlequins are very nice, you could have more of them in a ten gallon than you can of larger species.

Chili rasboras are very pretty too, very small, very RED. Also tend to be shy, sadly. Or celestial Pearl Danios, which are small and attractive. Males dark blue with white star like spots, females pale blue with same spots.

Harlequins have a black chop mark on the side, varying reddish shades, some the colour of a new penny. Or some of the new, small rice fish species perhaps. I like small fish, so I tend to think of them first, and most rasboras are pretty hardy fish. Most danios are too, but the CPDs maybe a bit less robust than the larger and more common zebra and leopard types. Certainly much quieter.. they like plants.. males tend to spar and prefer not having to see each other all the time.

Normally I would refer you to look at your local shops first to see what they have available, but with a 10 there aren't many great choices at most local shops. I would look online at different nano fish to see what you like. From there we can help you narrow down to a combo that will work well together.

The suggestions the last poster gave are good suggestion, but the only one most people can find locally are the harlequins, you might also check out khuli loaches. The downfall to ordering online is the cost of shipping.

I don't have the money to order fish and have them shipped to me, so the best I have is PetSmart. Would some type of tetra work, like an Orange Von Rio Flame Tetra or a glowlight tetra? I was thinking of having like 6 of those and maybe a couple otos or spotted corys? Not sure what fish to add for the top level, any suggestions? Suggestions of fish I can find at PetSmart would be beneficial! Thank you for all your help

Of those two tetras the bin Rio would be better for a ten gallon tank.
If you can get pygmy cories you'd be better off. Most cories get 2+ inches and with as active as they are really should be in 20 gallons plus.

Otos really need well established tanks, so if you want them I would add them last. This allows time for you to get everything settled back down after losing your others.

In my area the selection of fish at petsmart really stinks. All they typically have are the "cool looking fish" that aren't suited for the average home aquarium. I have to shop at local fish shops to get anything interesting. If you have locally owned shops check them out. Usually a much better selection, tho you will pay a higher price per fish.

Ok I think I will do the tetra you said. Thank you again! I love this forum! So helpful

Would a dwarf gourami or two be an option if I were to get 5 or 6 flame tetras and like 3 otos or pygmy corys?

One problem with dwarf gouramis is that they require very quiet tanks.. little water current, heavy planting both in the substrate and floating, for hiding places and shade.

They seem to be quite fragile, and while it's not impossible to keep them, they have a distressing tendency to fade and die for no apparent reason not too long after you get them. One day they'll seem fine, the next they'll be lying on the bottom, the day after that they'll be dead, without any symptoms that are obvious other than lying on the bottom or maybe over a plant leaf.

Whether that's due to general stress, as from shipping etc., or inbreeding, I really wish I knew. But they are not an easy fish to keep healthy and happy. They prefer tank mates who are also quiet, not fast swimmers and not pushy.

They're also not that small, and two in a 10G with other fish is likely one too many. Males may fight if they feel their territory is threatened.

Ok. Don't think I will get those then. Are mollies good tank mates for my community? I've heard they can be aggressive.

Mollies are nice fish, but depending on what their genetic heritage is, they can grow up to 5 inches. Most Mollies today are hybrids of at least two species. Some will stay a bit smaller than 5 inches, but they're still too big for a 10G. Swordfish also get too big, 4 inches or more.

Platies are a bit smaller, so they might be a possible choice.. but you'd still only be able to have two in a 10G, I think, depending what other fish you have.

Have you considered some of the smaller rasbora species ? Harlequins are one I like. They're pretty, hardy, active, peaceful fish that don't need a lot of their own company. Full size is less than two inches. Depending what else you have, a pair of females to one male would be fine.

Harlequins have an overall reddish body colour with a deep black chop mark on the side toward the rear. Sometimes called a lambchop rasbora, some are the colour of new pennies, really bright. Only minor differences between the sexes, same colours. Females tend to be a bit larger and rounder in the belly, males smaller and straighter under the belly.

Sex ratio is not critical with most rasboras, but it's a nice thing for the fish to have both sexes if you can, it gives them a more normal set of interactions with their companions.

Back
Top Bottom