Help!! Newbie with Ich....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angloe1

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is not quite finished cycling. I have one newborn and one mama who is ready to give birth any day. My levels are Ammonia 0, Nitrite .25 and NitrAte 5. Should I wait until the tank is finished cycling before treating for ich? And is it safe to treat with newborns in the tank?? I've just started noticing the spots on a few fish. My tank has platies, guppies, skirted tetras, neon tetras and corydoras. Any suggestions? I want to get rid of the ich but I don't want to hurt anyone!!! :( Help!!

I would try to get that tank finished cycling asap. Are you using ammonia or just feeding normally? I would get some real ammonia or seeding forthe tank and move the fish out and then add the ammonia and it should cycle faster, then put the fish in and treat the tank.

I would try to get that tank finished cycling asap. Are you using ammonia or just feeding normally? I would get some real ammonia or seeding forthe tank and move the fish out and then add the ammonia and it should cycle faster, then put the fish in and treat the tank.

I just added some seed yesterday from a cycled tank. I don't have another tank to put all the fish in while I start the cycle over again though. What about using something like Nite Out or Prime? My nitrite levels are definitely going down, just not quickly!!

How about mixing bowls or tupperwears? Or you could put your fish in a bucket, pitcher, or anything else that holds enough water for fish. I think those chemicals would work, it just depends on if you have the parameters high enough to need them. If they're close to normal now, don't get the chemicals. If they're far, go ahead. You could also get amquel plus, which removes chlorine, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and other harmful things. That way you would have it if you ever had an issue with any of those things. It's better to buy a multipurpose medication because it can be used for all kinds if things.

I don't have access to a store locally to get any amquel plus but I have Prime and Nite Out II. The Prime is supposed to remove chlorine, and neutralize ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. It also adds the slime coat too. Would the fish be OK in tupperwares for as long as it would take to finish cycling? What if it takes another week or more?? Like I said ammonia is 0 nitrIte is .25 and nitrAte is 5ppm. What do you think? I've been cycling for almost two months now and the nitrItes just won't drop! I'm getting so frustrated and now i have the ich and babies!! :(

I think they would be ok in tups. Just wash them out in a solution with the chemical u said works for alot of stuff cuz there could be chlorine or soap left on it. U will need to do frequent water changes in each and try to get each one some bubbles. Like give them a total of 4 hours each with the bubbles to keep oxygen in their tup. If u have a really big tup it would best. Get the biggest u can find and fill it with tap water, add the chemicals, and then add the fish. If it's big enough u can probably fit most or all of them. Move the airstone over to the tup with the most fish in it for now. Try to give each tup of fish time with the airstone tho.

So while the fish are in the tups what do I do with the tank water? It has been seeded so is it just a matter of time? Do I need to add ammonia? This is so confusing to me!!! My poor babies! I've got 16 fish in there! Will this start the cycle over again? Sorry if I sound like an idiot!! :oops: I'm so new at this!!

Just put food in it like you would be feeding your fish, even tho they're in the tups (also feed them) as u feed the empty tank ammonia will build up, making the bacteria needed grow, and the ammonia Lvls will go down, and u can move the fish back in. the cycle won't start over. U might need a few BIG tups for 16 fish...

So my ammonia will go up again and then nitrites and nitrates, right? But my ammonia is at 0 right now so I'm past that point it's the nitrItes that are so high. Or is the food just to keep the nitrites going? How long can I leave the fish in the tups??
I really appreciate all your help!!

Then just add the chemicals with the fish still in the tank. Test it. If it's good, keep them in. if not, maybe add more chemicals. Sorry it took me so long to reply I was asleep

So how did it go? Is the icy gone?

Well I ended up going with the heat method so I've had the temp steady at 86 degrees for almost a week. So far I haven't seen any more spots so hopefully it's going to work! My tank is finally cycled so at least I don't have that to worry about too!! :)

Back
Top Bottom