Help! Not sure what to do!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redzeke

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! Possible parasite on tip of Betta's fins!

My betta, Zeke, has had fin rot for some time that I have been treating him for over two months. Just recently, I noticed these white dots at the end of his fins that my husband thinks is Ick. We started treating him with Kordon Rapid Cure last week; did three days, one day off, and today is day two of a second round. He is getting worse now, but instead of the spots multiplying, they are getting bigger. It must be a parasite, but I'm not sure what or how to treat it. He looks bad, and I have been trying to help him without overmedicating him for the fin rot, so try to hold your opinions on his keeper for now.

I've never seen hook works before, but my guess is it is something like that -- it almost looks like little claws coming out of the end of his fins. He doesn't have them anywhere else but the end of his fins and today I noticed there might a couple close to the end, but they are not on his body that I can see.

I moved him out of his 2.5-gallon tank two weeks ago into a one-gallon tank, with a filter but not cycled, no other fish, heater set to 78 and was at 82-84 for the past five days and just turned it down today since I don't think it is Ick now. The ammonia is .25-1 so I have been adding prime to detoxify, and I believe I've kept that in check. The PH is low, though, and I have not been able to get it above 6 for long, maybe a couple of hours at best. I measure for nitrites and nitrates every few days but figure there is no reason until the ammonia is at 0. I clean his tank with a turkey baster and remove about 1/8-1/4 of the tank water daily and replenish with conditioned water.

He still eats, swims sporadically at times, and today he started leaning up against the silk plant in the tank, and seems to be hiding more. It might be bothering him now as he is showing signs here and there.

Can someone please tell me what this is and how to treat him? Should I get him out of this tank and into another tank with clean water?

Attachments

• IMG_6193.jpg
    IMG_6193.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_6178.jpg
    IMG_6178.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_6112.jpg
    IMG_6112.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2862.jpg
    IMG_2862.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Ich usually shows sporadically across fins or the body, this seems to only be occurring on the ends of the fins. I also suggest dosing with Melafix as it's got healing properties such as eucalyptus to help with fin rot. I also advise you to get a larger tank for him. Beta's should not be kept in such small tanks despite what pet store owners tell you. In their natural environments they can be forced to live in small puddles of water but that does not mean they thrive in small spaces. He needs a larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom