HELP NOW!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sofia

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI, I just dicovered one of my black moors have dropsy :( I put him in a hospital tank & found this article:

'I'm in no way any kind of expert, but I just wanted to share what I learned from a dropsy episode with my fish with the hopes of perhaps helping someone else someday. When my fish first got it, I didn't have any hope, because I had heard that it was difficult to cure.

'With a lot of help and suggestions from people in this forum, esp. Uptongirl and Violetedawn, as well as some other resources, my fish's case of dropsy has been diminished if not 'cured'.

'Have no idea what caused his kidney function to fail/decrease. I'm guessing it was bacterial or viral because Kanacyn seemed to do the trick.

'Treatment was in stages as I changed things as I found out about stuff. I have no clue what actually helped--or if it was something I should not have done--so I'm putting everything here:

1. Had him in Maracyn II for about a day.

2. When I got Kanacyn, I put that in the water instead (did not use the 2 together).

3. Tried to keep temp as warm as possible--was a bit difficult because we have air conditioning and he's at work. Some sites say they upped the water temp to 86C for gold fish. I think his water was probably around 70-72C. But if you're changing temp, please do it slowly as not to stress or harm your fish.

4. Shielded his tank from stressful light by making a black paper 'box' with some air and peep holes cut out. This really seemed to help.

5. Added some epsom salt to his Kanacyn water. (1 tsp for 5 gallons of water.)

6. I was changing his water every other day--100% change. I also kept the water for changes in the same room as the fish tank so it would be about the same temperature when I changed his water.

Notes: The epsom salt helped his swelling. I was so afraid that he'd burst or something he looked so swollen. I'm sure he probably felt more comfortable, too.

'Read medication instructions carefully and follow them to the T. It mentions not combining with other chemicals unless compatible with the medication.

'This is really important! I used only Kanacyn and epsom salt together in untreated tap water but I could get away with this because our tap water is drawn from artesian wells and is not treated with chlorine. So I didn't have to use water conditioners or anything to prep his water. I would not normally do this, but I wasn't sure if the chemicals would combine OK with the medication.

'If you have to treat your water, you might want to get help from someone who's a lot more knowledgable about water conditioning.

HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED THIS BEFORE? Did you have any sucess treating dropsy another way? Also,, are there different types of epsom salts??? I don't know much about salt but I have this epsom salt that reads "epsom salts magnesium sulfate - bath salts for a relaxing bath" would that be appropriate? Also is it okay if i mix kencyn with epsom salt and water conditioned with "aqua plus"? Any help would be appreciated.

I just called the pharmasist and she said that one epsom salt is for soaking and the other one can be used internally. I have the one for soaking, so if humans cant use it interanlly then fish cant either???

Not sure about most of the above tale of woe adn triumph..
but aqua plus removes metals..it may interfere with the epsom salt.
Dropsy is oftencaused by bacterial infection so getting that possibility and added stressgone quick gives the fish recovery time.

I would \NOT however raise the temp over 80 for a gold. Golds are really healthier at lower temps. higher temps cn stress them, especially becuase the ower oxygen content (bubbler don't add nearly enough)

Also is dropsy contagious? I just looked at him from the top & noticed it today...he was acting weird for more than a week allready so he prolly allready had it longer. Poor guy :(

Since dropsy is a bacterial/fungal infection, yes, it is contagious.

Epsom salt has many uses. It can soothe during a bath, cure constipation in human, and in aquatics case: make your fish poop like woah.... or so I've heard. It is mainly a constipation cure...and if you're fish does indeed have dropsy (with the "pineconed" scales and all), it is to my knowledge that the epsom salts probably won't help any.

I have successfully used maracyn 2 and Jungle's Fungus Clear Tablets to cure dropsy, and the fish is still alive after a "very pineconed" stage of development.

Hope this helps some.

Read this about dropsy:
http://puregold.aquaria.net/pg/disease/symptom/byname.htm#dropsy

I have no personal experience with treating dropsy, but from all my reading:

Dropsy is end stage of many different diseases, including bacterial/other infections.

Treatment in goldies includes: heat - up to mid 80's, epsom salt, and antibiotics - most suggest adding antibiotics to food (buy antibiotic food -Romet B I think- or soak food in erythromycin - that is Maracyn) & feeding that so the fish get more of the antibiotics. You'll prob need to treat intensively for quite a long time.

I don't know of different types of epsom salts- as far as I know, it should all be Magnesium sulphate. I suppose the soaking kind might have soaps, perfumes, etc. I would get 100% MgSO4 (or labled USP - which would be medical grade Mag Sulph). In addition to being a laxative, MgSO4 also draws out fluid by osmotic action, and is a smooth muscle relaxant. It is one of the mainstay of treating dropsy.

thanks....also my epsom salt doesnt really say anything...it just says "Epsom Salt ,magnesium sulfate, bath salts for a relaxing mineral bath, medical skin care". The brand is "Life". You live in canada...I think I bought it at london drugs or shoppers drug mart or something. It doesn't smell like anything so I don't think it's perfumed.

My question is...does salt that cant be used internally for humans can be used internally on fish???

Dropsey is practically incurable. The person in the article probably just got lucky and had a very hardy fish. The best thing to do would be to release your fish from his pain and put him down. :(

listen "engame319" you can't just go and randomly tell people when to kill their fish especially when you have NO idea on what you are talking about. Plus how do you know I won't get lucky and how do you know my fish isn't as hardy? So instead of trying to make me feel bad telling me to go kill my fish now without even trying to help it, I sugest you keep your mouth shut or come back when you have some real advice. So if you can't help me, DON'T REPLY!

Although I dont advocate violence, arguing, or fussing(slang south word), I will say that I agree with your concern sofia, about advice to put your fish down. I believe that you should try your hardest to nurse your fish back to heatlth. After all, we do take that responsibility when we put fish into our tanks. I am pulling for your fish, and although I cant offer any practical advice on treatment for your fish, I can say that it is noble of you to continue to improve the life of your little one. (fish)

Praying For You,
Revhtree

PS. I am sure engame319 did'nt mean it like it came across. Typed words seem real cold sometimes. :wink:

Once the pine cone look appears the window of opportunity for correct treatment has about closed. but death is not 100%
It isn't hopeless. You wil need to give constant monitoing of the fish while helping it. And bacterial treatment is first thing you try with some constipation relief. Many fish get long enduring problems with the swim bladder after recovery and need some odd therapy methods (like the floating slings :lol: )

Don't give up yet! Just because the dropsy ends up fatal for most...there are those that made it through. Keep trying til the eyes ask to go!

Back
Top Bottom