Help!! Oscar hurt BADLY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
90 gal:
Oscar 5 in
Severum 3.5 in
Festivum 2.5 in
Red-tail Shark 2.5 in
Pictus Catfish 5 in
Senegal Bichir 5 in
Pleco 6 in

My oscars top front fin is badly damaged, as well as his underbelly near the pectoral fins. It looks like something tore into him, no white fungal type thing, just hanging skin and pinkish where he got tore. Who do you think is the culprit??

It could possibly be one of my decorations. I have a large, hollow-body ceramic ship. It is derelict, with many open spaces. I could picture him chasing/being chased and get caught on this ship, as it is unglazed/painted and quite rough in texture.

Should I QT him? I really don't have another tank I could put him it. I have MelaFix and Aquarium salt.

This is totally unexpected! My first thoughts, aside from complete "wtf" were, "Aquarium Advice will know what to do!".. Heh... poor oscar

So please! Any help is apprecaited & TIA

hmm, get pimafix and melafix... that would be best. I wouldent QT him enless someone is really bothering him and picking at him, some may disagree...

I would say that the bichir is the culprit, but if that decoration is dangerous, get it outa there... i dont like hollow decorations...

I've been looking for my camera! Now my Severums beat up too, I assume the work of my Oscar, Gobi. I don't know how well he's working with my stock list. Or if my stock list is working well with him. That will be a hard one to decide :(

Wow, evidently this is a stressful time for both me and my fish.

EDIT: And how do you open a d*mn Magnum 350!! Oh man. I unplugged it, and tried opening it, and water sprayed everywhere! I plugged it in and out again to see if I missed a siphon or something, and upon reopening, sprayed again! I got some in my mouth the 2nd time. I gave up and plugged it back in.
I need the carbon out for the MelaFix to work properly, right? And also I got a bag of AquaClear BioMax (bio-filter media), I don't know if I can just throw it in the canister basket or what. Anyone own a Magnum 350 & could help me out? TIA

Well I've never seen any agression from my RTS. I have seen obvious agression from my Oscar towards the Sev. But seemingly only towards the Sev. I guess the festivum & the rest know to stay clear.

Would I be able to possibly disperse aggression by getting more, say, severums? Sort of like... power in numbers? Pardon me if I'm wrong.

I would suggest posting about your filter in General hardware. I have never even seen a magnum so I can't help you out.

Try rearranging your tank. That might cut the aggression for a while,

Back
Top Bottom