Help Oto stuck in goby mouth...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow I was soooo close. Beautiful tank. Sorry about your fishy friends

Good estimate!

That was the puny Oto, so he could have just died or just been a slow poke/get it slow "poke".

Joke's in bad taste (bad taste for the Goby!) Sorry nervous humor...

ok joking aside, it is sad, but there are 6 Otos left. All looking healthy and in good condition.

I imagine if the Goby plucked it off a leaf or something, he shouldn't want to do that again. But now I am concerned for the lives of the rest of the Tetra size fish. Took a brief head check and the rest seem to be there.

So this could have just been because the Oto was dead. Or Puppy has turned into a mad dog!

So I will watch him for awhile and see if he has turned into a little fish eating machine. Obviously he is a predator but I wasn't aware he would be such a large fish and be slurping up other fish. The Otos were a recent addition and they are the smallest fish and very mouth sized for him.

Getting an up close view of how big around his mouth really is, he could chomp a guppy or Tetra possibly.

I haven't SEEN him chomp at anything yet, and I watch him quite a bit.

Unfortunately with gobys, if they think it will fit in their mouth, they're going to try and eat it. Even my dragons do that. Luckily there's nothing in their tank that can get caught in the throat.

Unfortunately with gobys, if they think it will fit in their mouth, they're going to try and eat it. Even my dragons do that. Luckily there's nothing in their tank that can get caught in the throat.

Needed the Otos to take care of the algae which they have been doing a splendid job.

When I had the pH crash I lost my Siamese Algae eaters. The 6" long ones. They kept the place looking great.

Poor choice it seems for spaghetti sized Otos to be in there, perfect for slurping, ....somebody needs to go. I could move the rest of the Otos, and add my one little 3" BN. But probably need more than one BN to take care of the 72Gs.

I had some BNs hatch out a few weeks ago. Once they're big enough, let me see how many I have and you can have one or two.

That's a shame about the SAEs, so hard to find true ones around here. If you want more, I know Exotic Aquatics almost always has a tank full of them, and they aren't the flying foxes either. These are the real ones.

I had some BNs hatch out a few weeks ago. Once they're big enough, let me see how many I have and you can have one or two.

That's a shame about the SAEs, so hard to find true ones around here. If you want more, I know Exotic Aquatics almost always has a tank full of them, and they aren't the flying foxes either. These are the real ones.

Thank you for the options. I think I would like a couple more BN. The one little guy I have was about a 1/2 inch and I had to grow him up so he could even go in the tank he is in now!

Keep me posted.

I will check that store.

These two big guys were amazing and my favorites!
So fun to watch.

Called them the twins since they were identical and near always right next to each other!

60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

Looks like the puppy is feelin fine!

The first day he kept his mouth a bit open and didn't seem too interested in eating till around 2am when I went to shut off the lights and go to bed, then he was dancing around begging.

Fed him a few Omega shrimp pellets and he was very happy. :dance:

Next day Mouth seemed closed and no problems. Fed the little Hikari bottom feeder wafers and he scarfed them right up and is looking very beautifully colored and in good condition.

He is just so much bigger than I understood him to get! lol

Will be moving the Otos out, although I bet he found that one dead on the bottom. Haven't seen him try to suck one up.

I like him so much I rather prefer to keep him. He is so ugly and sooooo beautiful! Much more beautiful than the google images. My camera is awful. May try to borrow a phone to get a few better shots to share!

I had a similar problem with my cichlid. It had a pebble lodged in her mouth for two days. I decided to use a tweezers and successfully got it out with no harm done. But be extremely careful and if you can't hurt it out after a minute.put the fish back in the net and give you and the fish a two minute breather. It took me a good five minutes off work but the fish is happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom