Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2003, 04:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Mr.Fish
Help Platies are jumping out of tank!!!!!!

I set up QT this morning its 15gal with high temp (about 86).I used bleach to clean it.I went to the LFS and bought 4 red platies they were jumping in the bag but I thought it was normal.However,after releasing them they went to the water surface gasping for air so air stone has been added and suddenly one of them jumped out of the tank (she is already dead 8O ).What is going on????????????????????????????????

Old 12-14-2003, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Electrobes
did you let the tank cycle before getting the platies.. or used water from another tank before sticking in the platies? Also test the water. When you used bleach, did you rinse the hell out of that tank? the airstone was a good idea.. did they show signs of breathing normally after that? also try some stress coat in the water... and as I said before, test the water.

Old 12-14-2003, 06:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bleach...did you let the tank soak in water with a super high dose of Dechlorinator?

Or did you just dump it out..?
Old 12-14-2003, 06:24 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, make sure to use a dechlorinator. I would get those platies out of there if possible - use some tupperware or somthing. Then add a large amount of dechlorinator to the tank and let it sit for awhile. Then put in new water. I would also drop that temp down. That would be a real shock to them. If you want to raise the temp to get rid of possible ich then do it slowly over a day or so, not all at once.

Tags
platies, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com