Help! Platy pregnant or sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CheezDoodles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a female wagtail platy. The lfs said that she was pregnant but I doubted it. It has been almost three weeks now and she still hasn't given birth, even though her belly was bigger than my other platy. Just today, she looks really fat and her belly looks kind of square. She wasn't like that yesterday. I don't see a gravid spot expect for a salt-sized black dot behind her anal fin. She's acting normal, eating fine, socializing, no clamped fins, no hanging at the top or laying on the substrate. Her scales are smooth, but I'm still scared in case it was dropsy. I have a 20 gallon with 6 guppies, 1 platy other than her, 2 cories, and three nerite snails. Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are 0. pH is 7.2. Water temp is around 77-78. I do 25 percent water changes every two weeks. Please reply fast, I'm really scared for her :confused:

She could very well just be pregnant but scared to drop the fry. Try feeding live/frozen foods, do a 50% water change and maybe add a new hiding spot. My platys always gave birth at night and always after a water change or after I fed them blood worms.
Keep in mind that a stressed livebearer might reabsorb the fry and look fat for a while. I had this happen to my one molly.

Thank you! She is a really shy fish haha. I fed her some frozen bloodworms and added new plants. Also did a water change but still no fry or gravid spot.

Back
Top Bottom