Help please! I'm New. Danio Problem.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WAGS

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there. I'm new here but I have a question and I figured it would be best to ask for some help.

My pearl danio has 4 large white spots along his back. 3 on the right top side starting behind his head in a row down the right side of his spine and the 4th on the left side right in front of his top fin. It doesn't look like they are on the surface of his skin but almost underneath the skin.

From what I have heard of ich, ich is tiny white spots more all over the body and fins. I see no white spots on any of my fish other than this fish in this pattern.

(2 angels, 1 Sail Fin Molly, 7 cherry barbs, 8 danios, 1 plecostomus - 40 gallon tank - everyone acting normal - eating fine.)

Does ich come in this form also?

Or can anyone tell me what this is?

I don't want to treat for the wrong thing! But I don't know what this is.

I have attached a bad picture but you can see what I am talking about on this right side - but kinda blurry.

Thanks!

Jenna

Attachments

• fish spots.jpg
    fish spots.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 104
Uh - picture way too small - will try again.

fish spots

is this a better picture?

Attachments

• fish spots larger.jpg
    fish spots larger.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 73
It kinda hard to see, is the tank cycled?
From what you've described it does sound kinda like ich, so i bump up the temperature to about 86 for now. If that doesn't help you can try a salt treatment

Also once one fish has ich they all do because it is in the water column.

I know the picture is hard to see. I tried for 15 minutes to get a GOOD picture :( but those danios are fast. I'll try to get another...

Yes it is cycled since June. I see some others put their water tests on here when asking for help SO I just tested:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40
PH 7.6
API Test Kit

I read about the high temp thing and won't that hurt my fish if I do that for too long? I read if you want to go that route, you have to do it for like 2 weeks. I started to thinking it was ich and I'm up to 80 since last night. I normally try to keep it between 74 & 77. And would then I need to vacuum the gravel daily (add new water to replace what gets sucked out), and would you do salt? Some people say on here that salt isn't good for plecos, but most advice off board I have read said it is fine for plecos when treating ich for a short period of time.

Jenna

Try the heat first, raising it that high for 2 weeks won't cause any damage just do it slowly

Okay - I think I figured this out. NO small white spots on any fish. This one fish that I asked about looks to be healing. AND I THINK THEY'RE EITHER BITE OR SCRAPE MARKS?? I have spent a lot of time observing the fish and he gets chased most often by several of the fish. Danios & Cherry Barbs... If he wasn't bit at, he went under a rock or tree or something and scraped himself. I am most certain... The first mark is long and the last three are shorter in succession...

He's strong - swimming normally, eating just fine.

Out of precaution, I did water changes for 3 days (vacuumed gravel), took all the decos out and soaked them in super hot water and got an air stone - and rinsed my filters - - since ya' just never know... And I thought my nitrAtes were a bit high (so it needed a good cleaning).

This morning Ammonia 0 nitrites 0 NitrAtes 20ppm.

Anywho - That is my analysis of what these marks are on his back. Will continue to observe!

Jenna

Okay - I think I figured this out. NO small white spots on any fish. This one fish that I asked about looks to be healing. AND I THINK THEY'RE EITHER BITE OR SCRAPE MARKS?? I have spent a lot of time observing the fish and he gets chased most often by several of the fish. Danios & Cherry Barbs... If he wasn't bit at, he went under a rock or tree or something and scraped himself. I am most certain... The first mark is long and the last three are shorter in succession...

He's strong - swimming normally, eating just fine.

Out of precaution, I did water changes for 3 days (vacuumed gravel), took all the decos out and soaked them in super hot water and got an air stone - and rinsed my filters - - since ya' just never know... And I thought my nitrAtes were a bit high (so it needed a good cleaning).

This morning Ammonia 0 nitrites 0 NitrAtes 20ppm.

Anywho - That is my analysis of what these marks are on his back. Will continue to observe!

Jenna

Sounds like a good plan. It didn't look like Ich to me but who knows. Watch the marks for signs of infection, keep the water clean and hopefully it'll heal quickly.

Well - I am most certain this wasn't ich. My danio truly must have gotten scraped or bit up. He is 99% healed now (I can only see a small mark on his back - the rest are healed)... So - Yeah - I can be the poster child for "don't panic - it isn't always ich"!

Physical signs can disappear quickly, continue with the treatment for two weeks. The parasite stays in the water column, even if your fish don't show signs

It wasn't Ich - I am certain it was bite marks from another fish - probably a cherry barb.

I did not treat for ich at all in any manner.

Jenna

Back
Top Bottom