Help, please save my son's goldfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robynsindahouse

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My son is two years old and loves his three common goldfish, Spot, Splatter, and Nugget, and his snail Gary. Splatter started floating on his side last night and died a couple hours later and this afternoon Nugget started doing the same thing. I have a 45 Gallon tank with a filter rated for a 100 gallon tank, two 3 inch air stones, gravel, plastic plants, resin tank decorations. The tank has been setup for a few months now. The only new addition in the plastic plants. Nugget has a white film around his eyes and he is staying pretty still at the bottom of the tank. He comes up for a little air then goes right back down and hasn't really eaten in about 12 hours. The other fish Spot seems fine and is swimming and eating normally. I looked up Ich and is doesn't look like that at all. I thought it might be ammonia poisoning but Spot seems fine. Any ideas I am going to cycle the tank tonight when my husband gets home because I can'r do it by myself. Any thoughts??? Please help!!!

Have you tested the water?
And do you do weekly water changes? Goldfish are SUPER dirty fish and need more water changes than a regular tropical would. I would guess if you haven't kept up on weekly water changes there is a spike in ammonia/nitrite/nitrate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long have you had the tank up? Cycling isn't a you do it and it is done right away. It takes weeks of work ahead of time and during the process. Did you mean you were going to do a water change?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Something is not right. What do you mean "cycle" the tank tonight? Tanks cycle themselves with bacteria in the start. Are you doing water changes and vacuuming the gravel? you need to be doing this 2 times weekly at the least with goldfish. Only take out about 30-50% of the water each time and when you add new water, use a good dechlorinator like Prime. I am guessing you are somewhat new to this hobby, which is fine, as this site is full of useful information. Id suggest an ammonia test kit (9 bucks at petsmart). Dont get the strips, get the dropper bottles. If anything shows above 0ppm, its too high and will hurt the fish. Changing water will lower it. NEVER take all the water out or clean the filter media with tap water as it will kill your good bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom