Help Quick! My heater exploded!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the_elvish_misfit

Aquarium Advice Activist
I smelled something burning and went over to my tank was looking in the tank and there was glass everywhere so I looked up and the heater was shattered and there was a brown cloud around it like there was dirt inside and I dont know what to do or if it's going to hurt the fish!

Take out the heater and all the fish. If you have a second heater acclimate the heater and turn it on. If not, get another heater tomorrow. Of course unplug the damaged heater before you take it out.

what brand of heater was this? and how did it explode/causes of explotion?? I dont want to have this happen to me

Take out the heater and all the fish. If you have a second heater acclimate the heater and turn it on. If not, get another heater tomorrow. Of course unplug the damaged heater before you take it out.

Ok I did. I have another heater in the tank aswell so it's already up and running. When can I put the fish back? They're in the siphon bucket (it's 40g)

As soon as you have all the glass out. If they are reacting normally then they most likely did not get any shock.

what brand of heater was this? and how did it explode/causes of explotion?? I dont want to have this happen to me

It was an old one my dad used to use like 20 years ago it worked fine in my 10g, when I moved into my 72g I put it in because I trusted it more than the new heater I bought so I had it as a backup (both set to 76*) But apparently it wasn't trustworthy.

Dont go cheap on heater, most cheap heaters when they go bad either shatter or worse yet stick on, good heaters when they break they just dont work. Bigger tanks you should use 2 heaters 55 gallons and up, so basically you would use 2 100 watts in a 55 gallon is better then 1 200 watt better, etc

Dont go cheap on heater, most cheap heaters when they go bad either shatter or worse yet stick on, good heaters when they break they just dont work. Bigger tanks you should use 2 heaters 55 gallons and up, so basically you would use 2 100 watts in a 55 gallon is better then 1 200 watt better, etc

I didn't go cheap.. it was just old. My second heater is brand new and for up to 75g it was around 50$ I don't know the wattage. The old heater was for a 20g, I just had it in there in case the new one didn't work.

75 gallon you really should have 2 heaters (2 125 watts one on each end) not one 250 watt heater

Reasonis if the heater breaks it can be a disaster especially if it sticks on, plus better heat circulation if you have 2 heaters instead of one.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Is it more common for old heaters to blow up when they die rather than just switch off? I ask because I planned on using two old (but good) heaters in my 55 as well.

Depending on manufacturer and model #, Some heaters will stick on but with 2 heaters it wont be that bad, thats why its recommended for tanks that are 55 and up to get 2 heaters instead of 1 so if they do stick on then you wont boil the fish.

If you got all the glass out and the fish are acting fine, be grateful. I have heard of more than one instance where the fish got electrocuted. Always have a backup heater, never know when you will need it. Glad the fish are ok.

I too use 2 heaters on any tank 55 gals and over,

Back
Top Bottom