HELP! Quickly. Guppies sick and dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquariumPage

Aquarium Advice Regular
Guppy tank 10 gallons. Four adults. Four babies in breeder net thing.

One baby dead.
One male guppy half dead.

Two days ago I noticed the male guppy had big white spots on him. Then my female got some on her tail. Now the male is completely covered in these big white dots. Right eye is clouded horribly and it looks as though he can't use his right side.
Let me know what I should do. I don't have any meds but can go to petsmart to get something but I need to know what I'm dealing with and what I should get.

The picture attached is the best I could get quickly. I will try to get a better picture.

Please help me. They are all covered in these big white ball specks.

Attachments

• image-2864789931.jpg
    image-2864789931.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 97
The white speck in the middle of the net looks like the stuff on the fish.

Attachments

• image-944235425.jpg
    image-944235425.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 101
  • image-4130910825.jpg
    image-4130910825.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1467055415.jpg
    image-1467055415.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 93
When I first saw it I have them this. The appropriate dose. So I have used this medicine because I thought it was ick at first but now I don't think it is ick.

Attachments

• image-2472416470.jpg
    image-2472416470.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 76
Also my Betta has a line patch of fuzzy stuff that looks like this stuff on it's right "cheek" but that's all I have seen on him. The other day I saw one white dot on his left fin. He does not act sick at all. My guppies do act very sick. My Betta is in a 2.5 gallon tank by himself.

By the way, I'm not at a computer so I can't figure out how to change my tank information and my signature so that's why I'm saying what they are in go by what I'm saying here for these tanks

2.5 gallon with filter for my male Betta George

10 gallon with filter for four adult guppies 2 female, 2 male, and 3 fry a few months old in a net box thing in the tank. They aren't big enough to be with the adults yet.

One of the fry has a big white thing on his fin and the adults are almost lookin like they are losing their tails.

Water test strips. Everything is the same as it has been. The alkalinity/acidity has been like this for a long time.

Attachments

• image-3136966115.jpg
    image-3136966115.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 82
I haven't seen this before and can't help with diagnosis, however, I do know that water changes do a lot for a tank. I would recommend you do a 50% water change, and then do another 50% water change back to back. And continue with daily water changes. Maybe try turning up the heat a little bit and add a little salt. I'm not sure on dosages. Maybe someone else can help with that. If you have a bubbler add that to the tank to increase water agitation. If you do not have a bubbler then you can lower the water lever a little bit and the falling water from your filter will cause enough agitation to keep plenty of oxygen in the water( as oxygen goes down when you turn up the heat)

Also I know the test strips are notorious for being incorrect, you should maybe consider getting liquid testers.

Sorry that I do not have better advise.

Good luck and keep us posted.

(also make sure if there are other tank inhabitants , check to ensure they can handle the salt. If you decide to add the salt)

Ich. Every hobbist's dread. I have not had it myself, but I know how to treat it.

Lots and lots of thorough water changes.

Raise the temperature SLOWLY(!!!) to 86 degrees.

Increase aeration (Add bubble stones, turn filter on high, increase water surface disturbance.

What will happen is the high temperature will speed up the ich life cycle. The ich attaches to fish after hatching, then eventually falls off to breed in the gravel. Raising the temperature speeds up this process, so when they fall off fairly quickly into the gravel, you suck them up and kill them when you vacuum the gravel with the frequent water changes. I'm not entirely sure that's how it works, but that's my understanding of it.

This process works apparently, so no NEED for salt or medications. It may help though.

P.S. On a side note, I noticed you use test strips. When this is over, please purchase an API Freshwater Master Test Kit. Test strips are very innacurate, and are more expensive in the long run.

Hope I helped, and good luck!!

I have done a complete gravel clean and 50% water change. My water temp is at 82degrees and my heater is set a bit above that but hasn't come on yet. If it doesn't come on in a while I'll turn it up more.

My male is floating around and not able to keep upright and keeps just floating around then spurting around in circles. It's so sad. I hope I can save him!

Heater is on. And I left the water level a bit lower so the filter can get more agitation to the water.

I'm going to go to petsmart very soon and see of i can find something for fungus. I will look for the suggested meds.

I would imagine it is probably to late for that guppy, I haven't had one come back once he can't swim properly. I would probably focus on getting a diagnosis and treatment for the remainder guppies before it is too late for them.

If you notice them gasping at the surface try lowering your water level a little but more, post a pic as well.

Came home from the pet store and the male was no longer moving or breathing. I will miss him. One male left and two female. Used API fungus cure.

But now one of my females looks just like the male did earlier. I may lose her too.

Attachments

• image-3834686187.jpg
    image-3834686187.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2485639616.jpg
    image-2485639616.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 55
Good luck I hope it works, your water level is good enough for agitation.

I don't know if it is your actual water or if the camera is picking up a Hugh of green. But it looks like you may have an algae bloom, which could mean your test strips are reading incorrectly.

How often do you do water changes? how long do you have your lights on per day? How much do you feed, how often? Sorry if it seems like I am asking a lot of questions, I just want to try and help you :)

Niki said:
Good luck I hope it works, your water level is good enough for agitation.

I don't know if it is your actual water or if the camera is picking up a Hugh of green. But it looks like you may have an algae bloom, which could mean your test strips are reading incorrectly.

How often do you do water changes? how long do you have your lights on per day? How much do you feed, how often? Sorry if it seems like I am asking a lot of questions, I just want to try and help you :)

It's the medicine I put in. It turned everything green.
And when I was at petsmart I coughed up the money for the master freshwater test kit because I finally got a job and have money!

I've had no problems with algae yet :)

Everyone is looking fine. The female has started swimming around. It's just a waiting game now.

Everyone is still alive but they at not looking well.

My male guppy seems to have become bloated.

Attachments

• image-1590308269.jpg
    image-1590308269.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom