Help, Ready to give up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It may sound silly but I have become pretty attached to them.
It's not silly :D
Do another 50% water change today and only add the dechlor. Use tap water, since the fish are used to it.
Do you have any advice on the situation with my Catfish. It really looks like he will not make it. He must be exhausted and still will not eat. Today will make three whole day's. I monitor the food religiously and I know he has not gotten any.
He certainly isn't starving, I regulary only feed my fish every other day. However, since he will not eat, that is a problem. I would isolate him if possible and treat with Melafix. Has any of the diseases listed in the links been useful? I would like you to start a new thread detailing the problem with the bala. Keep it brief and more people are likely to read it and offer help. Mention that your tank is having problems and you are working on them. The first thing people will tell you is to remove the ill fish.
The bio-wheels on the filter look dark grey no brown. The blue pads, that contain the Carbon does have some brownish coloring on the tops and moving down the sides.
Okay, leave them the way they are--they are growing bacteria for you, which is great! Most of us do not change our filter pads once a month--that is a rip off!! You can rinse your filter pad in used tank water when you do water changes. That helps the water flow, but does not get rid of the good bacteria. Since the tank is cycling, do not mess with the bio wheels or filter pads. Once a few months go by and you notice the wheels don't spin as freely, it's time to rnse the filter pad. I have had biowheels running at my place and have never cleaned them, only the pads. I will also add, that it has been well over a year since they were purchased and I have yet to change the filter pad.
You need the pH high test, so you know how high the pH really is!

I am pretty sure I know the problem with the catfish. I added aquarium salt and have read through one of your links about how not to do that with my catfish. The symptoms they had listed are exactly him. They say to lower the tank level first and then do at least a 50% water change. Immediately when I lowered the water level, about two gallons, my cat turned right side up and was better. He still is not eating and in the same spot, kinda teeter tottering. I am waiting for my husband to get home to do the water change. Also on the same site it has a salt bath for sick fish. It say's to isolate the fish in about two gallons of tank water and add two teaspoons of salt. Then to keep them in there for 30 minutes and return them to the tank. This was for fish in general not my particular Balas. I am going to try it and I will post here to let you know how it turns out in a day or two. I will do as you suggested and continue to read your links and start a new post tomorrow, if needed.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. Those links are awsome and you have saved my catfishs' life!!!

I added aquarium salt and have read through one of your links about how not to do that with my catfish.
Also on the same site it has a salt bath for sick fish. It say's to isolate the fish in about two gallons of tank water and add two teaspoons of salt. Then to keep them in there for 30 minutes and return them to the tank.
Perhaps that's not a great idea. I don't keep balas and I don't know their salt tolerances.

Back
Top Bottom