Help! Really worried.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

varthurs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help! My daughter brought home a goldfish (red riding hood) from a fair about 3 months ago. I went and bought it a glass bowl (mistake #1). Recently the fish began laying at the bottom of the bowl and twitching. After researching I ran to the store and purchased a 10 gallon aquarium kit. I read on one of the sites that it's more important to get the sick fish out of the glass bowl than it is to cycle the tank. Sooo, I did everything I could to get the tank ready and put him in (probably filtered for about 4 hours). I purchased a thermometer, aqua safe, ammonia safe, easy balance, test strips and salt. The water is 70 degrees (not using the heater). After treating yesterday, the test strips show everything at safe levels. However, the fish is still twitching. Now I am reading the importance of cycling, but I don't totally understand. I have no idea what I am doing with this fish! Can someone explain to me in Kindergarten language what I need to do to make this cute little bugger get well? Is he too sick at this point? I feel terrible.

Last edited:
There is nothing you can do for the fish I will be shocked if it makes it through the next 24 hours

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I would start by doing a large water change with dechlorinated water...and doing so often. Test strips are highly inaccurate. I don't keep goldies so I don't have much else to offer...hopefully someone else chimes in. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is nothing you can do for the fish I will be shocked if it makes it through the next 24 hours

Fish King - Can you tell me why you say that?

Well I had fish do the same thing they never made it it through the night it was always fish I just bought tho

I have hundreds of Goldies (I breed them in my Koi and goldfish ponds) so maybe I can help. It's not likely that he will make it but if you are quick to read this he has at least a small chance of survival. First of all, OXYGEN!!!! It sounds to me like he's getting ammonia poisoning and he's not getting the oxygen he needs. If you bought an airstone you'll need to attach it to the clear tubing and pump and plug that in. Place the air stone next to the fish. Also try lightly grabbing the fish and swaying him back and forth in the water. This will force oxygen into his gills like CPR. Do this until he seems to get better. Most people are going to tell you that the ten gallon is too small for a goldfish and they are 100% correct and i'll explain why later but right now you should focus on saving the fish. Do daily water changes. A water change does not mean take out all the water. You should have just enough water to cover your fish's height and about 4 inches to spare. Normally you wouldn't take out this much water but this is an emergency and you need to take out as much ammonia as possible. You should visit your local pet store to buy a prime dechlorinator made by a company called seachem. Prime helps balance your water chemistry. Also don't feed your goldfish for three days as he may be suffering from Swim Bladder which is kind of like gas but more severe and permanently damaging. You also are going to want to have plants in there and keep all the equipment running. Lights are ok to have but because your fish is already very stressed please turn them off and give your daughter's Goldie a break. Do this and check back with us to give us an update! I'm curious to see how this goes and I hope your fish gets better!
Best wishes

NatureFish
????

Is it laying on its side

Fish King - he is not laying on it's side and seems to be doing better than yesterday (ie: not laying at the bottom).
NatureFish - Thank you! I put an airstone in (originally purchased with a small pump and filter kit to put in the glass bowl before I decided on the tank - it's a small one 1 inch), but can't really put it near him because he's afraid of it. Just to be clear, I need to change almost all the water again, even though it's only a day and a half old? The tank has 2 large plants and 3 small plants and a lava rock. I turned the lights off. should I attach the bubble wall, or does that not help anything? I really like this fish and now I've invested a decent amount of money on him - really don't want him to die :(

When you said that I assumed that it was on its side and I'm sorry if I came off rude that is just my experience with fish having that behavior or laying on its side any way, but good thing it is doing better

When you said that I assumed that it was on its side and I'm sorry if I came off rude that is just my experience with fish having that behavior or laying on its side any way, but good thing it is doing better

No worries, just wondering if you knew something for sure. When I google his symptoms I get all different diseases! Bear with me as I don't know how to use this sight and responded twice I think!

Fish King - he is not laying on it's side and seems to be doing better than yesterday (ie: not laying at the bottom).
NatureFish - Thank you! I put an airstone in (originally purchased with a small pump and filter kit to put in the glass bowl before I decided on the tank - it's a small one 1 inch), but can't really put it near him because he's afraid of it. Just to be clear, I need to change almost all the water again, even though it's only a day and a half old? The tank has 2 large plants and 3 small plants and a lava rock. I turned the lights off. should I attach the bubble wall, or does that not help anything? I really like this fish and now I've invested a decent amount of money on him - really don't want him to die :(

I would change it daily as goldfish are big time waste producers and the water will get contaminated quickly. So in an answer to your question, yes you probably do need to change it again. I totally understand the whole thing about already investing money in him. If he's doing better than yesterday I have confidence in his survival. however don't forget That fish food isn't the best thing for him right now as I already said. It's going to do more harm than good at the moment. Goldfish don't have stomachs so technically you won't be starving him. Start to feed him after you think he is close to normal. When you do feed make sure you are feeding the smallest amount of food as you possibly can. Many new goldfish owners overfeed which can cause premature death. Oh and I forgot to mention to post a picture of him as different breeds of goldfish have different requirements. I'm sure someone here if not myself could identify him.

P.S- goldfish are a serious commitment (I'm not joking that fish will be around after your kids move out if it has proper care) many goldfish have lived to be over 20 years old. Some have even lived to be 45 years old. After he gets better I would move him to either a homemade pond in your yard or in the house (indoor ponds are easy as you can make them out of large water tight storage bins). You can buy a larger aquarium however I've found that goldfish in aquariums usually live shorter lives and don't have the same quality of life as pond goldfish due to lack of swimming room. Remember that your aquarium or pond is his whole world not just his house.

NatureFish
????

Ok thanks so much. I will change the water. I would post a picture but have no idea how to do it. After researching goldfish I realize the commitment - who knew???!!! LOL. [QUO

Does the fish look more like this or like this? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417837413.023790.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1417837666.629388.jpg

NatureFish
????

Oops I posted that last post before I saw your picture!

NatureFish
????

Your fish is a red capped oranda. These don't live as long as others but they can still live a good 10 to 15 years. They are prone to several issues though. Swim bladder is the main thing you need to watch out for. I cannot stress this enough, don't overfeed!!! Overfeeding is the main cause of swim bladder. Do you feed flakes, pellets or gel? Many people advise against pellets and flakes because when they are eaten the fish has to swim to the top and open their mouth above the water line causing them to swallow air which also causes swim bladder. You can always make a gel out of pellets though. Just soak it in a separate container and then feed it to red riding hood.

NatureFish
????

The only thing that is different is tank size. You don't have to have as big of a tank as other breeds but I still advise everyone to get the biggest tank they have room for because its not good to keep them in a cramped space!

NatureFish
????

I feed him Tetra Fin Goldfish flakes. I will be sure to wait 3 days to feed him. Hoping the oxygen helps him overnight. I know he's just a goldfish but I feel so badly watching him struggle!

Back
Top Bottom