Help Sick Angelfish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russianaquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed that one of my angels has white stuff on it, seems like skin peeling yet scales are in place? Weird never seen this before?!? Any idea what it is? Is it normal? Will it die? Still eats good. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC_0059.jpg
    DSC_0059.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC_0058.jpg
    DSC_0058.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 179
The fact that your Angel continues to eat probably rules out Columnaris. Certain parasitic infestations cause fish to secrete excess mucus, like what is pictured on your Angel. Research "Velvet / Oodinium. It looks like the Angels fins are clamped, another early symptom of Oodinium.

Check your filter system and test your water.and I'd do a few water changes on the tank. And I'd hospitalize, a.s.a.p.

Check your filter system and test your water.and I'd do a few water changes on the tank. And I'd hospitalize, a.s.a.p.
It's always a flat out point to keep the water and tank clean of the bad build up. Usually when something goes wrong all a sudden there's something wrong inside the tank. Think of anything you have or have not done and fix it, or undo it. Whether you added something new or haven't cleaned something. (Tank,gravel, water, filter, and so on...) And always check your water, test it!

Nitrate 20 PPM
Nitrite 0 PPM
GH 150 PPM
KH 180 PPM
PH 7.4ish
Alright, thanks for all the replies, it looks like some kind of mucus or bacteria growing on the fish, my Double Marble Angel seems to be getting a little of it too. Now im getting worried... I will put in MELAFIX right now which treats fish from bacteria infections and see what happens. Also it seems like that angelfish in the pictures above has what looks like little white pimples on its skin, not visible in photo. Not many tho like 3 or 4 on each side. HELP I dont want this to go down hill.

I had that with my angels lost 4 out of 6. Tried everything. Nothing worked. Finally tried aquarium salt and heat. Took alot of time and maintenance from me. But so worth it. They were covered. White spots and cloudy look with skin peeling look all at the same time. It was beyond bad. Everyday. I water changed, and when I seen spot gone off them I vacuumed the bottom of the tank. And water changed. Every water change I added salt to a bowl of clean water, let it dissolve and then added it to the water. I had moved them out of my main tank into a tote with a sponge filter and heater while I treated them. Trick is, you gotta stay on it. No slip ups. Heat was steady at 87-88 degrees. Had to slowly get the heat up. But this is how I did it and won with 2 angels left. I don't know what it was. But it was like a cross between ich and fungus. Every fish in your tank will get it if you don't remove the ones that have it. And FYI: clean your filter system and do a water change. Trust me. You'll thank me later. Hope you can save them. Good luck. It ain't easy!

Russ.
Don't panic. Bandit was right suggesting that Columnaris might be the culprit. I forgot about the so called less lethal strains. Columnaris is almost always fatal. By the time the white slime stuff is visible on the body, the fish's organs have already been attacked. Melafix, nor any other medication will heal a Columnaris infection. The less lethal strains actually should be addressed as the lingering death strains. Unlike the primary Columnaris strain, which more or less kills overnight, the other strains take a few more days.
The new white pimples you've noticed is possibly good news. That is not a symptom of Columnaris. More like Parasites. At this point the non med methods of parasite extermination probably won't work. If Melafix doesn't work, you might try a Formalin based medication, or a copper based medication. Good luck, things will level out. This sort of thing happens to all of us at one time or another.

Wait so what exactly is it? And ALL MY FISH ARE GONNA DIE WHAAAAAT COMMON I GOT LIKE FRIGGIN 100$ WORTH OF FISH IN THIS AQUARIUM.

Wait so what exactly is it? And ALL MY FISH ARE GONNA DIE WHAAAAAT COMMON I GOT LIKE FRIGGIN 100$ WORTH OF FISH IN THIS AQUARIUM.
I'd act fast then. It won't go away over night. Takes some time. Took me about 4 wks. With my big angel and about 6 wks for my smaller one. Oh and I gave them pebbles soaked in garlic juice. Most the time. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom