Help Sick Black Moor Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLane

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all I would really appreciate your help with my Moore Fish as I have no idea what more I could do.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 150litres
How long has the tank been running? 6 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? 69 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 black moor

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? API tap water conditioner and bio boost
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vaccum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? Small pinch of sinking pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Love fish sinking pellets from pets at home
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Cooked peas shelled and cut up

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 6 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 months
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Very lethargic, sitting on bottom of tank, keeps swimming up to top of water and gulping a mouthful of air. Has never done any of this before. Still eating and can swim but seems heavy? Not bloated and poo is normal no air bubbles in poo.

Have you started any treatment for the illness? I tried fasting for 3 days and then fed only cooked shelled peas for 3 days.
Tried a stress coat and obviously alot of attempts of water changes but as levels are all good didn't bother doing that alot..

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
After 6 months of having fish he changed colour and stay a gold. Spoke to the aquarium and said this can happen. That was 6 years ago and he has just been gold ever since didn't change any behaviour.

Did have 2 instances of Pop eye but has cleared up. One eye has remained large and cloudy for last 4 years never seemed to affect him though.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I got my fish 6 years ago and after I got him and he grew he changed colour from black to pale gold. All fine.

Then about 2 years ago he hit his eye and it filled with blood. I spoke to an aquarium shop and they said it should go down. It did but was cloudy ever since. He then did the same thing to the other eye. So both eyes have been clouded over slightly for last 2 years. He did not seem to be bothered in the slightest and behaved completely normal swimming and eating as normal.

But now last 4 months he has been sitting on bottom of tank and only bothering to move for food. If I put my hand in tank he bobs along and sits in my hand. (he used to always do this since I have had him). But he is also irraticly swimming to the surface gulps air and sits back on the bottom again. I thought perhaps swim bladder but I have been feeding him cooked shelled cut up peas and his poo comes out with no air bubbles in and tried fasting but nothing seems to be working. I feel I have done everything I can think of and have researched and am desperate for help.

I have just done a 75% water change and used Prime but after he swam around then went straight up and gulped air and done it 2 time after.

If anyone can help me I would be very, very grateful!

Hi all I would really appreciate your help with my Moore Fish as I have no idea what more I could do.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 150litres
How long has the tank been running? 6 years
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? No
What is the water temperature? 69 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 black moor

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Weekly
How much of the water do you change? 25%
What do you use to treat your water? API tap water conditioner and bio boost
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vaccum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Once a day
How much do you feed your fish? Small pinch of sinking pellets
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Love fish sinking pellets from pets at home
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Cooked peas shelled and cut up

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 6 years
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 4 months
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Very lethargic, sitting on bottom of tank, keeps swimming up to top of water and gulping a mouthful of air. Has never done any of this before. Still eating and can swim but seems heavy? Not bloated and poo is normal no air bubbles in poo.

Have you started any treatment for the illness? I tried fasting for 3 days and then fed only cooked shelled peas for 3 days.
Tried a stress coat and obviously alot of attempts of water changes but as levels are all good didn't bother doing that alot..

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No.

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
After 6 months of having fish he changed colour and stay a gold. Spoke to the aquarium and said this can happen. That was 6 years ago and he has just been gold ever since didn't change any behaviour.

Did have 2 instances of Pop eye but has cleared up. One eye has remained large and cloudy for last 4 years never seemed to affect him though.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I got my fish 6 years ago and after I got him and he grew he changed colour from black to pale gold. All fine.

Then about 2 years ago he hit his eye and it filled with blood. I spoke to an aquarium shop and they said it should go down. It did but was cloudy ever since. He then did the same thing to the other eye. So both eyes have been clouded over slightly for last 2 years. He did not seem to be bothered in the slightest and behaved completely normal swimming and eating as normal.

But now last 4 months he has been sitting on bottom of tank and only bothering to move for food. If I put my hand in tank he bobs along and sits in my hand. (he used to always do this since I have had him). But he is also irraticly swimming to the surface gulps air and sits back on the bottom again. I thought perhaps swim bladder but I have been feeding him cooked shelled cut up peas and his poo comes out with no air bubbles in and tried fasting but nothing seems to be working. I feel I have done everything I can think of and have researched and am desperate for help.

I have just done a 75% water change and used Prime but after he swam around then went straight up and gulped air and done it 2 time after.

If anyone can help me I would be very, very grateful!
Hello, sounds like he's not getting enough oxygen. Causes for this are: 1 warmer water temps(warm releases oxy)& little or no water movement(oxy exchange). These are easy fix simply add an air stone to tank.
2 is damaged gills from ammonia burns. This usually happens by accidental over or under cleaning filter & or tank(ammonia spike). If gill not severely damaged, fresh water changes should heal(30% every 2-3 day).
3 he may be getting old. From my understanding in aquarium they can live an estimated 8-10yrs & 10+ in pond(depending on genetics).
Wish you luck w/this & Hope this helps you!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom