Help. Sick Boesmani

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gsdsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last night I did a big WC on my established planted tank. A 26g bowfront. It has been up and running for a year. It had been doing great until a month ago, when slowly I started noticing my Oto cats disappearing. Never found a body. But they are all gone.

So last night was tank maintenance night. All my tanks got a WC. I pulled some Anacharis out and rearranged a few things. Nothing major. Removed a rock, moved a plant.

I checked my WQ as well. My ammonia was .5. Eek. NitrItes 0. NitrAtes 80 eek!!!! So 40% WC. this morning, one of my male Boes is lethargic. Hiding either behind a plant or at the top if it behind the filter intake.

I just did another check. Ammonia .25 and NitrAte was 40. Better but still not great. So I did a 25 % WC. Temp is 78. No signs of parasites, no spots on him. But on closer inspection I notice his fins are raggedy.

A week or so ago, I removed my two female Boes and pit them in my new bigger tank fir cycling. So now it's just 2 male Boes, 3 make turquoise, a clown loach(I know) and a small clown striped Pleco in this tank. I was waiting for my bigger tank to finish cycling before adding my big males.

Is the loss of the females making the other male nip him? Should I move him to the bigger tank?

I don't have a QT tank. Though I was contemplating getting one.

All the other fish seem fine. Eating, swimming, active.

Help!!!!

Yes this morning. Ammonia .25. I think it was due to fish loss, my otos. The tank has been perfect for months and months. Weekly water checks, weekly WC. It's crazy.

But, my boy, was swimming around when I got home tonight.

Gsdsar said:
Yes this morning. Ammonia .25. I think it was due to fish loss, my otos. The tank has been perfect for months and months. Weekly water checks, weekly WC. It's crazy.

But, my boy, was swimming around when I got home tonight.

If you are having trouble with boesmani aggression you should get some more females. Males are gonna beat each other up

Yeah. Thanks. That's what I figured. I moved the offending male into my new tank. The beat up dude is recovering. He is still in the old tank. Been trying to keep the water pristine, but still have low levels of Ammonia. But he is eating well, active. Hopefully he will fully recover and I can move him into the big tank.

Gsdsar said:
Yeah. Thanks. That's what I figured. I moved the offending male into my new tank. The beat up dude is recovering. He is still in the old tank. Been trying to keep the water pristine, but still have low levels of Ammonia. But he is eating well, active. Hopefully he will fully recover and I can move him into the big tank.

Hmm that's strange how big is the main tank? Perhaps you are overstocked

I was overstocked. The original tank was a 26 bowfront. They have been moved now to a 55g tank.

However upon closer inspection of my fish in the 55 I noticed a whitish growth on the top of half their mouths!!! WTF!!!!

Help. I don't want lose my whole stock!!! Any ideas?

Attachments

• image-3617715085.jpg
    image-3617715085.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 56
  • image-1619124165.jpg
    image-1619124165.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 52
  • image-2441879657.jpg
    image-2441879657.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 44
You are probably still
Overstocked. Those white fuzzy things are bacterial infections. Usually due to poor water quality. I'd do another water change immediately. What's your stocking list?

Well. I was overstocked when they were in my 26g. This started when I moved them to my 55g.

Right now I have 3 Boesmani( about 2 in each)
3 turquoise rainbow( 1.5 in each) 2 banded rainbow ( 2 in each), 4 Goyder Rivet ( 1 in each) and a clown loach ( 1.5 inches). I know, the loach will outgrow this tank.

It is moderately planted. It is cycling right now. I am mid NitrIte right now. Doing 30% PWC every other day.

Melafix and Pimafix and salt have been suggested.

So I just did a Water check I had done a 30% PWC earlier today.

Ammonia 0
NitrIte .25
NitrAte 20

Should I do another PWC?

Gsdsar said:
So I just did a Water check I had done a 30% PWC earlier today.

Ammonia 0
NitrIte .25
NitrAte 20

Should I do another PWC?

Yes. There shouldn't be any nitrites. Those are very toxic to fish. Also test your tap too

0.25 nitrite is not great, but shouldn't cause the symptoms you're seeing. Looks like you went through a mini-cycle. If you completely lost your otos, there are probably at least spines decomposing somewhere in the tank, your beneficial bacteria are catching up.
The pictures aren't clear, but it looks like it could be a columnaris infection. I recently treated an outbreak with Furan-2 with excellent success. Only lost the original fish who exhibited the symptoms.
Keep up with the water changes and possibly treat with the furan-2, and you should be fine.

Thanks!!!

I probably should have been clearer! The original sick Boes is in my 26 bowfront. The ones showing the mouth stuff are in my new 55g. I moved them out when the first got sick.

The original Boes, has some type of fin thing going on. Red streaks and torn tail. I am guessing a bacterial infection caused by the aggression of the other male when I moved the females out.

Both tanks are being treated with Melafix/Pimafix and are doing well. But we are only on day 3 of treatment but the mouth fungus is already clearing up in the 55.

In the 26, the red streaks are still there on the Boes. But he is eating and active.

If this does not work I will try the Furan2 on the bigger tank.

What would you suggest on the fin streak issue in the smaller tank?

Back
Top Bottom