Help!! Sick Cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nedrog2010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have a Cory and is not doing well. Top fin is damaged I think by either my barbs or my cae. Can't stay upright and just sits in the crevice of my rock formation at the top of the water. Never had any problems before now do not know what happened. What should I do??

Ok do I need to go buy a test kit? I've never done that except take my water to take to the pet store to test it which it was fine. But do I need a kit?

It is a good idea to own your own liquid test kit for occasions such as this. For now do a water change with temperature matched, dechlorinated water to see if he improves. Is he showing any other signs of sickness? Spots, fuzz, red marks, etc?

No nothing at all. Haven't had any problems for months until now. All that is visible is that his top fin looks Damaged. Not the same as my other cory. But ok will do. Anything else to look for or do?

Keep an eye out for visible signs of illness, keep the water clean and make sure he's not getting picked on. A damaged fin shouldn't cause any issues unless it gets infected.

Ok it's just weird how he is like laying himself in the crevice of my rock an like literally almost out of the water. And then I move him and he can't even stay afloat. All of my other fish are showing no signs of anything unhealthy. How would water parameters affect him if that's it? What could be wrong with it?

Nedrog2010 said:
Ok it's just weird how he is like laying himself in the crevice of my rock an like literally almost out of the water. And then I move him and he can't even stay afloat. All of my other fish are showing no signs of anything unhealthy. How would water parameters affect him if that's it? What could be wrong with it?

Exact diagnosis of fish disease can be tricky. If he is a little weak from being picked on or getting suck somewhere poor water quality could make him feel worse. Stress makes fish sick and disease makes fish stressed. Poor water quality makes fish stressed also. Stress can suppress their immune system making them more prone to disease. Honestly I can't diagnose what's exactly wrong with him.

Back
Top Bottom