Help! Sick Ctenopoma-cloudy eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CtenopomaSpots

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 6 year old Leopard Ctenopoma.
36g, heated 77f, 50g filter, aeration increased.
pH 7.6
Amm 0.0 ppm
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 0.3 ppm
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453046505.977021.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453046518.525760.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453046531.227748.jpg
She ate pond snails from plants I added, other than that there hasn't been a change to the tank or foods for 4 months.
I was told it could be a parasite now causing a bacterial infection. Any suggestions? Please and thanks.

Good call on the snails!
Most issues with Ctenopomas are nutritionally based.
Cloudy eye certainly could be bacterial if not an injury.
Snails are an intermediate host to several disease.
Seachem Kanaplex(Kanamycin) should work I belive.
Congrats on keep your C so long,you clearly understand!
I would offer a vitamin supplement if you do not already while he recovers...
Good Luck.

Just saw you are in Canada!
You uhh probably can't get antibiotics huh?

It's hard. On another forum I was told that melafix wont help but it's all I have at the moment. I may be able to make it to petsmart after work. Do you have any suggestions for meds that may help?
I can get to the LFS Monday.

Thank you so much. One person actually told me not to bother ?. I will do whatever I can to keep her alive. She's resilient so I'm not hopeless. My husband is going up to Big Al's while I work. I really want to save her. She's the only other female in the house.

Thank you so much. One person actually told me not to bother ?. I will do whatever I can to keep her alive. She's resilient so I'm not hopeless. My husband is going up to Big Al's while I work. I really want to save her. She's the only other female in the house.

You sound like a true fish keeper.(y)
At 6 years old you have already done a wonderful job with your responsibility for this fish IMO.
Many do much worse without great concern.
I really hope this works and please keep us updated.
Good luck.

Well I used the Seachem Kanaplex after doing a 20% wc. At first I was resigned to her passing away. But as I'm slowly adding water she has swam around a few times.
She has gone to the surface twice for air. I usually wouldn't be too happy about that but considering her behaviour earlier, movement is a plus.
She made eye contact finally and is no longer laying on the substrate.
Not a great improvement but one none the less.
Thank you CoralBandit!

Well I used the Seachem Kanaplex after doing a 20% wc. At first I was resigned to her passing away. But as I'm slowly adding water she has swam around a few times.
She has gone to the surface twice for air. I usually wouldn't be too happy about that but considering her behaviour earlier, movement is a plus.
She made eye contact finally and is no longer laying on the substrate.
Not a great improvement but one none the less.
Thank you CoralBandit!

Nice !
It is too soon to tell but just re dose every other day for three doses I believe to complete treatment.
If the eye is not clear but improving,you should just star a second three day treatment.
If no improvement is noted maybe we to find a different solution.

***UPDATE***
I own a seriously tough fish. She is currently still showing signs of a parasitical/bacterial infection. After 3 rounds of Seachem Kanaplex she is swimming around today. She still has cloudy eyes and is now battling fin rot on her tail.

I haven't medicated her since Thursday. I picked up API parasite cure for the initial issue. I think Sunday will be when I treat her again.

If, after the parasite cure, she is still in her current condition would it be too much to wait a few days and dose again with the Seachem? I don't want to kill her after all.

I've also (most importantly) been doing small water changes every day. Even on the days I was sure she was going to die she was most responsive after a water change.

Back
Top Bottom