Help Sick Fishy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThatTetraGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys I just wanted to know wether or not you think my Zebra Danio is unwell.

I have 5 zebras in my 14 gallon. The other 4 always are playing and swimming around the tank but this particular one just sits on the surface and stays there until it's feeding time. Even in feeding time it barely eats anything compared to the other fish and he is a lot skinnier also. Have the others just become mates and he hasent I'm not sure.

Thanks for posting!

Is the 4th fish at the service opening and closing it's mouth? Are there any 'cotton' like substances anywhere on the fish? How are your water levels? I would say treat with some sort of aloe treatment, mostly found in chlorine treatments. This will give that supposed sick fish, and the healthy fishes a healthy slime coat. (Preventive measure)

In short, if everything I mentioned turns out well, that fish might just be old. Danios are sculling fish. If they are not together or one is not, there is something wrong.

Hope this helps.

Thanks it will help me for future as I just came home and he was lying on the gravel but thanks for the advice

Thanks it will help me for future as I just came home and he was lying on the gravel but thanks for the advice.

How long have you had them and how long has your tank been set up? Did you cycle it? What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? How often and what % water changes do you do? Zebra danios are about the most hardy fish that exist so if they're unhealthy, something is really wrong!
When in doubt, do a water change.

Back
Top Bottom