Help, sick Jack Dempsey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BGK21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,
Over night, my Jack Dempsey looked like a large piece of flesh was removed above his right fin and there has been white spots around it. I started to perform water changes and thought it was getting better but it has not been. I have been looking through the forum and potential diseases and I'm thinking it is fungus. I want to treat the issue but also want to make sure the others are not harmed. Unfortunately, I do not have another tank to use as a hospital. Any advice on how to resolve this?

I do have an established tank that has been running with no issues since 2012. It is a 65 gallon with some other cichlids in it. The water parameters are
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20-40
PH - 7.6

Filtration - Emporer 400 as well as Eshoppes WD-75CS
I normally perform water changes of 15% to 25% every one to two weeks and vacuum gravel each time.
I've had most of the fish in the tank for a couple of years at this point. No new additions anytime recently.
I typically feed tropical flakes and shrimp pellets or a combination of both.

Attachments

• 20150202_103149[2].jpg
    20150202_103149[2].jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 20150202_103407[1].jpg
    20150202_103407[1].jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 74
Hi,
Looks like it's starting to spread to my other fish. Do I have any hope? Increase water changes, salt, medicine? I know it's not ich....not sure what else to do?
Thanks in advance.

I think you should increase your water changes to 35-50 percent per week to get your nitrates down. 15 to 25 percent every week or 2 doesn't sound like enough but I don't know your stock. Some salt could help him heal faster...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

While I can't say for certain what it is from the pics, I can say you really need to get the WC's up to weekly and at least 30-50%. Most often (like 99.9999%) any problems with fish originate from poor water quality. Also, knowing the other stock may help to figure things out. And a brighter pic too

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Thanks. I've increased the water changes but haven't seen much improvement. They are hanging in there. I'll increase the water changes and hope that works.
Thanks again for the thoughts.

Here is an updated picture as of this morning. I have increased water changes and it doesn't seem to be helping much but he is holding on strong.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 57
Back
Top Bottom