Help skinny fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikeyk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Iv noticed my clown loach is becoming really skinny starting to show the bone on his/her skeleton frame not sure if it's skinny disease or worms or another type of parasite but I want to cure it fast before it spreads or dies check pic below any advise is good advise right now as iv looked into it abit but the stuff Iv seen to use is not allowed into the United Kingdom so looking for something to replace but don't no what..

Well, unfortunately once a fish gets that skinny, it's tough to bring them back around. Typically, that is a sign of intestinal parasites. Though, it coudl also be a different sort of infection.
Do you have a quarantine tank? Unfortunately, you are correct that the treatment I would usually suggest isn't available in the UK except through a vet. :(
\What else is in the tank, and what are the parameters? How big of a tank? Anything new?

Currently have a 146gal tank with 10 clown loach some betts/tetras to school along with some guppys, platys, and 4 Pakkistani loach, also I have about 20/30 red cherry shimp and 2 other different type of shimp all to act as the clean up crew so to speak to ease the load on my fluval 405 and my internal minni power filter with 500 power of uv light steralizer to keep water crustal clear plus help to keep a stronger flow into a mix of about 10 different live plants..

Nothing new added by myself for about 2 years now but the guppies and platys do breed but no sooner as the babies are about 2cm I sell them on to keep the bio waste to a minimal...

Hopefully I can get this under control sooner rather than later if it is parasites as I don't want any of the others to catch it..

Is there a chance it is behavioral and that fish is getting bullied away from food? Clown loaches are not territorial, but they quiet piggy at times and sometimes a smaller one can be pushed away form food. I have several species of loach do that. Since everythign has been in there for so long, I feel more doubtful about a parasite, though it is possible.

Iv monitored feeding time and I can't see that it's being pushed aside at all..

how comes i cant see any of the pics/vids iv uploaded here? for you to see my fish and his/her problem

Its possible he could live. I have a pristella who became very skinny but has hung around for months. Don't give up! He might live through it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Feeding time

This is the video of the unwel fish at feeding time

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412710067.394244.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412710114.876782.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1412710186.245098.jpg

It's been about 3 months now since I noticed the skinny disease on my fish I did try a treatment called water life flukes and worms treatment recommended by my local pet store, completed the course aswel as frequent water changes but still no change even tho he/she has still kept eating as normal. only difference is he/she doesn't hide like the others when the lights on

Nope no change as of yet but Iv noticed he/she has started to school with my Pakistani loach as they like to be out showing off a lot iv tryed to give a mixed diet of bloodworm, daphnia, brine shrimp, algae wafers, tropical flakes, cucumber, prawns, and sinking loach pellets I try not to give to much daphnia and brine shrimp tho, as I no that to much of the good stuff isn't good. due to them having shells it causes constipation leading to bloating and swim bladder but if he/she shows any signs of improvement I'll post new pics..

Glad to hear your Molly is still going strong tough old fish is the Molly I used to have them but due to them mass breeding I was forced to see them all go keep me posted on the progress of your fish. maybe the case that you may find a cure before me

Back
Top Bottom