help, something is wrong with my tank. *pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've noticed some white smeared patches on some of my fish (not ich). It's not anything hairy, but I have absolutely no odea what it is. I'm really worried that I'm going to lose more fish, so I need to act very fast.

:( What's going on?

PS - I noticed that the gourami has cloudy eyes.
2083rainbow.jpg

2083sick_gourami.jpg

2083sick-gourami-2.jpg

im not an expert in this but could be some type of fungus.
If you could post a picture maybe it will help and someone here can ID it.

I would guess a fungus also. It looks like there are white patches on the body? As there isnt that much on your fish now (atleast it doesn't seem like it), I would move to a different tank if possible and keep an eye on it. Do some frequent water changes and add some fungus clear. See if you can post a clearer picture, so maybe we can identify it better. HTH!

Well, my gourami just kicked the bucket as well... The horror!
I went to two lfs's and the only medication they had was rid ich plus, and I alreadyy have that. I'm going to go to another lfs and look for other medication...

This has been a disaster. I've lost one rainbow (dropsy), one blue ram(this fungus), and now this gourami (this fungus) in the past month. My tank was doing great before, but now it's a PITA. I'm sure you would probably expect poor wter quality, but all the parameters have been alright.

Bummer :( Sorry bout the gourami illuminum.

If the water parameters are all 0 (except for nitrates which should be lower then 40), I suspect bacterial infection. Fungus usually doesn't kill that quickly (you can see how coated in fungus these fish are and they're still alive: http://www.fishpalace.org/Disease.html#Bodyfungus ). Plus, you have had other signs of infection in the tank (the dropsy).

I tend to think its columnaris. Tis the #1 bacterial infection in our fishtanks. I lost 6 brand new rams to it once; it sucks. Definitely read this article; the only change I'd make is if you don't use medicated food, use Kanacyn, not tetracycline: http://www.aquamaniacs.net/flex.html

With my Africans I slowly (and I mean slowly - no more than a couple of degrees in 12 hours) bring up the temp to around 83-84 degrees Farenheit. Be very careful with this and make sure you have an accurate heater/ thermometer. This will kill many fungi and bacteria. But I'm not sure if your fish can take temps that high.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom