help suspected fin rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave2010

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi I noticed a small white spot on my platty and also a part of his tail missing he was also acting very strange he was wobbleing side to side and hiding a lot, I removed him from my 180 litre and have put him on his own in another tank so the other fish don't Chase him or catch what he has! Since today his tail has got worse but the white spot seems to have got smaller, I was told to use aquarium salt to help him but since using it his tail is worse I was also told to try garlic which I done also, someone please help!

The best treatment for fin rot is to keep the water clean. What are the water parameters in your display tank?

In my display tank the parameters are fine except the ammonia is between 1.2 and 2.4 its been like it for days and I've been doing daily water changes but it won't go down at all! Someone said I may have a dead fish in there causing the ammonia to be high, I have 2 kuhli loaches and rarely see them so maybe ill have to remove all my decorations just to make sure!
The tank with the platty that has don rot is fine the ammonia is on 0 and he has a 10% water change every day the same time as I do the 25% water change on my display tank. Is there any other ways I can stop the fin rot without harming the fish I don't want him to die

Sent from my Desire HD using Aquarium

In my display tank the parameters are fine except the ammonia is between 1.2 and 2.4

That would be your problem right there. You never want to see ammonia in the tank and when you do, you want to keep it below 0.25ppm. I would do a huge PWC, at least 75%, and look closely for the source of the ammonia.

StressCoat can help heal fin rot, but getting your tank clean will help more.

Would a 75% water change be ok? I told someone I done a 50% water change and they said it was too much at 1 go and would harm the fish and remove some beneficial bacteria, if it will be ok ill do that now because it makes sense the more of the bad water I remove and replace it with good conditioned water the lower the ammonia should be

Sent from my Desire HD using Aquarium

As long as you're using a dechlorinator, a big water change won't hurt anything. Beneficial bacteria live on surfaces in the tank, not in the water column. People that breed discus often do 80% PWCs once or twice a day on their fry tanks.

If your ammonia is at 2ppm, a 75% PWC would drop it to 0.5ppm if there's no ammonia added.

Back
Top Bottom