HELP! Tiger Barb With Green Stuff On Stripes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few Tiger Barbs and one of them has this slight gerrn moss looking stuff on his stripes. it kind of looks like glitter. He has an appetite and swims around. But, when the other tiger barbs chase him, he kind of swims fast at an angle. When he swims at a normal pace, he doesn't do that. Nitrate is very low. Ammonia is .1, nitrite is 0. I'm going to do a PWC now. WHAT IS THIS STUFF?

Home now, just wanted to complete my answer :) the black stripes on tiger barbs are dark green, not black. Selective breeding of normal tiger barbs is what gave us green ones ;)

Hope that helps.

OhNeil1969 said:
Is the fish larger than it was before? It sounds like the scales may be opening up due to bloat.

No, he's the same size. I haven't noticed him getting bigger

No, he's the same size. I haven't noticed him getting bigger

That's good to hear. Can you describe the moss growing on the fish? You mentioned that it looked green. There are some fungus that will attach themselves to the body of a fish. You may want to try a fungus treatment called Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I've never used it myself but I have heard good things about it during my research and I respect the Jungle brand.

OhNeil1969 said:
That's good to hear. Can you describe the moss growing on the fish? You mentioned that it looked green. There are some fungus that will attach themselves to the body of a fish. You may want to try a fungus treatment called Jungle Fungus Eliminator. I've never used it myself but I have heard good things about it during my research and I respect the Jungle brand.

Well, you can't really see it with the regular light anymore. But, if you shine a flashlight on it, you see this green glitter all over the stripes. It shimmers like glitter. Also, ive noticed sometimes he swims at a slight angle and other times doesn't. What does this mean?

As I said, the green is normal. Google it if you don't believe me...

The angle might not be, is it tail or nose up down, or is it sideways?

Is there any water flow in that location which could be forcing him over? Do none of the other fish definitely do it?

Is there any water flow in that location which could be forcing him over? Do none of the other fish definitely do it?

No, he does it anywhere in the tank. Its only some days, today he didn't do it. No other fish do it.

You could see if he'll eat any (deshelled) peas. If he's constipated it could be affecting him that way. Other than that, I can't really diagnose. :(

Tim Wheatley said:
You could see if he'll eat any (deshelled) peas. If he's constipated it could be affecting him that way. Other than that, I can't really diagnose. :(

Okay, I'll try that! Thanks so much, you were a big help! :)

Back
Top Bottom