Help urgent danio has damaged its side fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I don't know what to do all of a sudden one of my danios Lenny started to swim awkwardly he seems to be having trouble keeping balance and one of his side fins isn't working properly I don't know how it has been damaged but it happened all of a sudden yesterday. He has no sign of finrot, the whole tank has been treated with a general tonic recently which treats Dropsy and so I know he is not sick. He is eating but he is now lying on bottom of the gravel he seems exhausted from trying to keep afloat. His side fin is open and he looks unable to fan it properly. This happened all of a sudden which makes me think he has got caught somewhere and damaged fin. Its 2days since a good waterchange. SO i DEF know it his not sick. All the other fish are fine and happy. I don't know what to do to ease his suffering but his struggling i don't want him to die just cause his damaged a fin. Would it be too stressful to get him out and give him time to heal he keeps swimming really fast at times near the bottom of the tank and keeps bumping into things.

If you could, I would separate him out to a net or QT just to make life easier for him. Could he have been nipped by any other fish?

Update on Danio

I have separated him from the main tank. He started swimming funny all of a sudden one day I thought he had damaged or knocked a fin. I have read up of swim bladder diease he does show symptoms of this. He has a curved spine, swimming upside down and in circles he is swimming a little more normally now but still swimming in circles and floating to surface. I have gave him some peas today and plan to maybe give him a little broccoli tomorrow and then fast him for 3days. I don't think he has ate any of the peas today though. I know he def doesn't have dropsy cause I treated the main tank a few weeks ago with a general tonic which includes dropsy as my new hillstream loach had white spot and hook worm. The Hill stream Loach is doing very well. I got him from pets at home they are awful he was disease ridded. All my other danios are well it just the one Lenny whos having problems I did put him back in the main tank but I saw the other danios picking on him so I took him back out. My tank also has a powerhead a big current so he looked like he was struggling against that not being able to keep his balance. So his living in a bucket at the mo.

I am going to fast him for a few days after ive tried him with broccoli tomorrow and see if he improves.

He's normal living stats

138litre

5danios
5minniows
3 Hillstream Loach

I just don't know what to do if he doesn't improve cause I cant be hundred percent sure it is swim bladder. If it is just a damaged fin which wont heal. I think I will get him a little tank just for him and put sand at the bottom and make it as comfortable for him as possible. I'm not sure I could do euthanasia :(

Have you checked water conditions - ammonia, ph, etc?

Reducing the water level may help so there is not so much pressure on him but to be honest, I don't really get them to come back from that.

Update on Danios i lost this danio as i had just acuired a new tank and I thought i had done an anti bacterial treatment on it but realised it was before i moved them :( i lost one more. But since i anti bacterial the tank with a broad spectrum tonic i have had no further issues. The tank was second hand and the lady who gave it to me said all her fish died i thought in the fist week i had treated the tank but i obviously got confused. I think the two danios that died had maybe whiring diease as i did QT them and treat asap. But too far gone and i had to enthunise as they were not eating. The second Danio picked up after treatmetn but them declined again and stopped eating and lost controll of his balance whiring in circles. i couldnt find much online about this and i am wondering whether it may just have been old age cause the two danios that died although i have only had since dec 2013 where adults when i brought them.

Back
Top Bottom