help w random fish dying off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbeland

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive had a cycled tank running for a little over a month or so with fish in it. I lost half of my first batch of neons which were my first fish to buy. Along w them I bought a dwarf flame gour which is fine. I then added 5 red eyes a week later and have lost 1. I replaced neons and added 3 albino corys a week later and have since lost 2 albinos and a few neons. Over the weekend I added 3 black skirt tetras and 2 emerald green corys and found one emerald dead this morning. In the midst of all this I adopted a neon green glo tetra w ammonia poisoning that died jn 48 hours.

I now have the flame, 4 red eyes, one albino,one emarald cory, 2 neons, 3 black skirts.

This is a 20g high w 240gph filtration with fake plants and a few statues. I have 10 or so plants for hiding spaces. Water temp is 78-80

ForumRunner_20131022_075723.jpg

All along water parameters have been 0 amm, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrates ph steady around 7.6-7.8 which matches tap water.

I do 25% pwc 2x week and once I missed one and nitrates went to 20-30 or so.

All fish come from Petco.

Feeding is a mix of mega one super color flakes and mega one color micro pellets.

Any thoughts? Is it just a matter of numbers? All fish are acclimated the same way...

15-20 min floating bag
Open up dump out half lfs water add in tank water
10-15 min then dump half bag water add tank water
10-15 min then dump half bag water add tank water
10-15 min then dump bag water and net fish into tank

Thanks. I feel silly returning so many dead fish.

Area the fish you have dieting shortly after you add then to the tank?

I personally wouldn't buy fish from petco or petsmart. If you have any locally family owned fish stores I would try them first.

As an example of the randomness I just found my last albino cory dead. Hes been in there for at least a week.

I personally wouldn't buy fish from petco or petsmart. If you have any locally family owned fish stores I would try them first.

I agree with this... but I've never even been to a fish store besides petco or petsmart.. the nearest one is over a half hour drive..sometimes there is not much of a choice

It's just sick how major companies treat their live animals. They will not be receiving any support from me

i drive an hour to get all of my fish, plants and coral. it is definitely worth it to not go to a chain lfs. remember no bashing on pet stores, a mod is going to go through and delete the names and warn you not to do it again

It seems odd that all 5 albino cories would die

You can't just blame the LFS... Clearly there's something else going on

Maybe if the water's fine then it's a disease in the tank ... Considering more than one species of fish died...

It seems odd that all 5 albino cories would die
It was 3 albinos and one emerald green cory but nonetheless a mystery. Just did a 25% pwc last night and all parameters normal. I think I was overfeeding which may have led to somewhat elevated nitrates. I also noticed some algae growth on the glass for the first time yesterday (no real plants in tank). Any way to test water for disease?

Back
Top Bottom