Help! We've got Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been following this thread because my 10g also has the ich... And yes, it was after introducing three cardinal tetras! Ditto, going to set up a quarantine tank!

hence the treating for a few days after all signs of the parasite are gone...?

I've been following this thread because my 10g also has the ich... And yes, it was after introducing three cardinal tetras! Ditto, going to set up a quarantine tank!

Well at least i'm not the only one going through this pain! I'm sorry to hear that you're having to go through this as well.

Is it just me or do the Tetra's seem to been a touchy fish? My Cory's aren't showing any signs of being infected, its all on the Tetra's.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ich isn't a virus it's a parasite. It can lay in the substrate of your tank until the opportunity arises (sick/stressed fish) and then it strikes. New fish can bring it into a tank or it can already be in there. Usually once you eradicate it it won't come back unless it's reintroduced by a new fish or cross contaminating from an infected tank.

Ich never goes away. All fish keep in in there system. You can get it more then once even if you don't add any new fish

P8ntballer52 said:
Ich never goes away. All fish keep in in there system. You can get it more then once even if you don't add any new fish
It does not hide in the fish.
If you truly eradicate it from the tank it will not come back unless reintroduced. That is why treatment is recommended past the last of the ich is being seen on the fish. Ich can be present in a tank without any signs on the fish. If they are healthy, stress free and the tank is clean ich most likely won't take hold.

Mumma.of.two said:
It does not hide in the fish.
If you truly eradicate it from the tank it will not come back unless reintroduced. That is why treatment is recommended past the last of the ich is being seen on the fish. Ich can be present in a tank without any signs on the fish. If they are healthy, stress free and the tank is clean ich most likely won't take hold.

Did you just wikepidea that? Should re look in to that. Cause is is present in ALL freshwater fish. It never goes away

P8ntballer52 said:
Did you just wikepidea that? Should re look in to that. Cause is is present in ALL freshwater fish. It never goes away

Yeah, can you attach any references here? Being a parasite I believe that ich can be eradicated from a tank, or at least to have a really low probability to infect your tank.

P8ntballer52 said:

I would just like to say your only half right. Ick happens when your fish get stressed by a PH change in the tank, an addition of new fish, algae bloom, a dirty filter, you name it. All fish produce their own slime, ick is an overproduction of slime that then gets a bacterial infection in the excess slime on their bodies. Its not that they carry it, its just the slim getting affected do to a many of factors as I mentioned above.

jwh0818 said:
I would just like to say your only half right. Ick happens when your fish get stressed by a PH change in the tank, an addition of new fish, algae bloom, a dirty filter, you name it. All fish produce their own slime, ick is an overproduction of slime that then gets a bacterial infection in the excess slime on their bodies. Its not that they carry it, its just the slim getting affected do to a many of factors as I mentioned above.

I'm not sure if I 100% understand what you are saying.

Mumma.of.two said:
Ich is caused by a parasite in/on the fishes skin/slime coat. What you see on the fish is it's immune systems response to the parasite.

Exactly what I was saying just in a different way

What you see on the fish is ich it self. Or Each white spot is an encysted parasite

Whitespot is very damaging to the gills and skin. In heavily infected fish it can cause a rapid loss of condition, considerable distress and death. Infected fish have small white spots on the skin and gills and produce excess mucus, due to irritation. Whitespot causes most damage when entering and leaving the tissues of the fish. This can lead to the loss of skin and ulcers

P8ntballer52 said:
What you see on the fish is ich it self. Or Each white spot is an encysted parasite

Whitespot is very damaging to the gills and skin. In heavily infected fish it can cause a rapid loss of condition, considerable distress and death. Infected fish have small white spots on the skin and gills and produce excess mucus, due to irritation. Whitespot causes most damage when entering and leaving the tissues of the fish. This can lead to the loss of skin and ulcers

Not disagreeing with that. That is why pristine water conditions are needed to help prevent infection and other complications.

Back
Top Bottom