Help! We've got Ich!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
just a question in general...are there certain types of fish that are more susceptible to getting Ich? I know that it is a product of lowered immune system but are certain species more likely to get infected?

The reason i ask is that my Tetra's are all pretty infected but my Cory's don't have any spots at all. Just trying to see if there is a difference between the two here.

+1 on that. My oto and Betta look totally fine but the tetras were horrible. I know Mr. Oto and Perry the Betta may be carrying it too but I'd never know it.

My betta (who is in a different tank) seems indestructable and can take just about anything thrown at him, not that i do anything to him but the poor dude has seen some rough circumstances for sure. The Cory's seem similar, But the tetras have just been one issue after another!

I don't know, but sounds logical that some fish could be more susceptible or sensate than others.
On the other hand, I always have good experience with cardinal tetras. Maybe you need to look if there is a reason behind, are the tetras more stressed than the corys? Why? How many tetras do you have? Remember that they do better in large groups.

I'm not sure why they would be stressed. I started with 10 of them but am currently down to 7.

So i wanted to post an update. After getting back from a week of vacation it seems that we have beaten the Ich. I'm not seeing any signs of it on any of my fish but i am still going to continue what i'm doing (heat, salt, and ich-attack) for the rest of the week just to make sure its actually gone.

I ended up losing 6 of my tetras but the last four are swimming strong and the catfish are still doing great also.
Seperate from the Ich we ended up losing our betta too :-(

skywhitney said:
So i wanted to post an update. After getting back from a week of vacation it seems that we have beaten the Ich. I'm not seeing any signs of it on any of my fish but i am still going to continue what i'm doing (heat, salt, and ich-attack) for the rest of the week just to make sure its actually gone.

I ended up losing 6 of my tetras but the last four are swimming strong and the catfish are still doing great also.
Seperate from the Ich we ended up losing our betta too :-(

Mixed feelings here :-( and :)

Sorry about the deaths, but happy about of the elimination of the ich.

ejaramillo01 said:
Mixed feelings here :-( and :)

Sorry about the deaths, but happy about of the elimination of the ich.

Thanks, we're feeling about the same. Hopefully once the ich is gone we can actually move forward and get this tank where we want it finally.

Back
Top Bottom