Help: white growth on goldfish eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there,

This is my first post here, and unfortunately, I am reporting a sick fish. My 4 year old goldfish suffered nitrate poisoning and now is having a white growth (perhaps fungi) on its right eye. I did not adjust the automatic feeder correctly

I came back from a trip on Thursday evening, and found this poor fish lying at the bottom sideways, almost unconscious.I checked the water parameters with a stripe, which showed nitrate too high (>100 mg/L) and pH < 6.5. I think the cause was overfeeding by the feeding machiane.

I did a 75% water change immediately and cleaned the gravel. Nitrate dropped to about 30-40 mg/L. I did not want to drop nitrate any further immediately, as I read somewhere that a sudden drop could cause stress. I added about two tea spoons of aquarium salt.

I did another 25% water change on Friday morning, and on Friday evening the goldfish was swimming around and looking for food. I have been continuing with 2x 25% daily water changes. Today (Saturday) Nitrate is < 10, nitrite=0, ammonia=0,.. and the fish is doing much better. It has started to swim around and eat peas.

I noticed also on Thursday that his eyes were different. Both of them were a bit cloudier than usual. Starting yesterday, one of the eyes started to bloat and become even more cloudy, and now, it has grown a white cottony layer on top of the entire eye (pictures attached). Although the growth is on only one eye, unfortunately I suspect that both eyes are blind as it looks for food only at the bottom and its movement behavior has changed significantly. I hope I am wrong and the poor thing can recover.

I went to the pet store today and got some anti-fungal medication (Sera Mycopur) with copper chloride, copper sulfate, and Acriflavin in it. It was the only thing available. I added the recommended dose of 1 mL per 20 L. I also added the required amount to the fresh water (for water changes) to keep the concentration constant in the tank. It has been a few hours and I am hoping that it gets rid of the eye infection.

Can it be that the white stuff on the eye is not fungi but bacteria? Should I add an antibiotic to the water? Although my fish is eating peas, I am not seeing any poop. Should I keep feeding it or let it rehabilitate a bit before feeding again? Should I feed anything else? Should I give it salt baths? I read somewhere that chlorophyll bath is supposed to be good for detox. Is it a myth? I would appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20170121_204036590.jpg
    IMG_20170121_204036590.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_20170121_205141654.jpg
    IMG_20170121_205141654.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 587
Separate him into another spare aquarium or a big bowl and use fungal infection med and also 50% water change everyday
He or she should recover in a week ...

Last edited:
Hi, remember not to over do it on the meds. I know it's easy to panic when our water babies are sick, but clean water with good parameters is always the best medication. I'd recommend trying only one med at a time and slowly weaning him on and off of the meds you give him. He's probably quite vulnerable to shock right now.

Back
Top Bottom