Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Help Wilfred!!!

I rescued Wilfred a couple of weeks ago from a fish hoarder. He is a 6 inch helostoma temminckii or "kissy fishy" as my 3 year old calls him. When i took him, he had this open sore on his nose. I assumed that it was from being kept in a 30 gallon tank with an 8 inch oscar. Figured that he maybe got bit or bumped it and it turned into a bacterial infection. I now have him alone in a 60 gal quarantine with the intention of moving him to the 100 gal community. The quarantine tank is constantly cycling even when empty and ammonia, nitrites, and everything are carefully monitored. I am currently treating him with Sulfaplex but am second guessing myself big time. Has anyone seen this before? How do I treat it? I hate to see him suffer. He's like a giant puppy dog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171122_173650.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	305177  

Old 11-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Holey smoke, that is a bad infection. IMO the best treatment would be a gradual approach, maybe Melafix and super clean water. If you use stronger antibiotics, it's going to put a dent in the BB. Then you will be dealing with an ammonia spike on top of the infected wound. As long as the fish is eating, and special attention is given to water quality, the wound will likely heal.
There are several AA members that are very knowlegable regarding aquarium pharmaceuticals, and might suggest another approach. Good luck.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:22 AM   #3
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Has he improved or got worse since rescue (allowing for settling in)?

Tags
red

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com