Help with betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
My wife's betta is cruel up in a S shape and sinks and whenever it goes to eat she misses the food and is not really moving around much. Please help.

Is it an s when looking at the top of the fish? Or an s from the side?

A little more in your set up will help, how big tank, filtered heated etc

Anything else other than the shape? Fins clamped shut, breathing hard?

KevinM said:
Is it an s when looking at the top of the fish? Or an s from the side?

A little more in your set up will help, how big tank, filtered heated etc

Anything else other than the shape? Fins clamped shut, breathing hard?

Move to bowl didn't have side tank ready
Breathing normal and no problems with fins
I'm thinking swim bladder disease but not really sure.

How much & how often do you feed? Also what do you feed? How long have you had him? I recently bought a female who was doing the same thing & couldn't swim down, she would just bob back up. I put her in a 1g, heated container, did daily water changes, added a little aq salt, fed her 1 pellet once a day every other day & within 5 days she was swimming normal. I would start with fasting for 2-3 days.

shellieca said:
How much & how often do you feed? Also what do you feed? How long have you had him? I recently bought a female who was doing the same thing & couldn't swim down, she would just bob back up. I put her in a 1g, heated container, did daily water changes, added a little aq salt, fed her 1 pellet once a day every other day & within 5 days she was swimming normal. I would start with fasting for 2-3 days.

Well, fasting now. It's the same as you describe yours. Mine is being feed a mix diet but in 2 days I will try pellets. I'm doing water changes daily and keeping her bowl in a fairy warm room

Well, fasting now. It's the same as you describe yours. Mine is being feed a mix diet but in 2 days I will try pellets. I'm doing water changes daily and keeping her bowl in a fairy warm room

If you can check the temp, they should be in water no cooler than 75 but preferrably 78-80. On a regular basis mine get 2-3 (depending on the Betta) pellets once per day 5 days a week, frozen food 1 day a week & fasted every Friday. Remember Bettas stomach are only about the size of their eye so they are very tiny & they are famous for overeating so you have to monitor very closely how much they are eating. When you say bowl, what size are you talking about? If this is her permanent home I suggest getting her a minimum of a 5g tank that is heated & filtered, you'll be amazed at the difference it makes in her health & behavior.

Well like I said my 10 gallon is my community tank and my 55 is cichlid so I didn't have much room. I know about keeping bettas and all that good stuff.

RAH said:
Well like I said my 10 gallon is my community tank and my 55 is cichlid so I didn't have much room. I know about keeping bettas and all that good stuff.

Just making a suggestion because many people don't realize that Bettas need more than what most pet stores advertise. I used to have mine in 1g containers, unheated & unfiltered & I had lots of problems health wise with them. My females are now in a heated, filtered 46g community tank & the boys are in heated, filtered 10g tanks & they're all much happier & healthier.

Well betta is better now just going to watch her for a while

Back
Top Bottom