Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-22-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help with dying Pleco.

Hello! I have what I believe to be a common pleco in a large tank with one goldfish. I got him to replace my last pleco who died as well but I had him for many years. Anyways I have had "Big Bob" for about 3 months now. We bought him when he was already quite large. He has been healthy and happy the past 3 months and this morning I noticed his eyes were sunken in. I feed him algae wafers and he eats the goldfish food as well...he is not in his usual hiding spit during the day he is lying right out in the rocks and looking lethargic. I offered him a wafer and cucumber but he is not interested. He tried to suck on the glass and kind of fell down like he couldn't get a good grip. Tested water which is freshwater with air bubbler and 24/7 filter, partial water changes done monthly using cycle, Aquarian salt and aqua plus. test came back as such: GH- 180. KH - lightest colour..0? pH - 6.0/6.5, nitrites - 0.5, and nitrates VERY dark 200. Very bad!! I am cycling some water for a water change as we speak. Goldfish is doing just fine. Added some more cycle as well...not sure what else to do at this point any advice is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_143336.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	302945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_143330.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	302946  

Name:	Snapchat-612529326.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	302947  

Old 08-22-2017, 06:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there driftwood in the tank? Definitely get the nitrate down. Do more frequent water changes until it's at a better level.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Jenna162, by your description it sounds like you probably have a cycle crash. Your Pleco does look to be a "common". I don't know any other aquarium fish that produces more waste than the common pleco. I like Plecos and keep several different varieties, but not the common. Too big and dirty. I think your best course of action would be to start a once weekly 25% WC instead of a monthly WC. To get your water chemistry balanced again I suggest you do 20-30% WC every day for a week. If thats too much, WC's every other day for 10 days will probably do. Keep checking your water parameters. When the BB crashes and the ammonia spikes most fish become lethargic and start to suffocate. At this point your Pleco might be too far gone. Might consider a bristlenose or clown Pleco next time. Hope he makes it.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #4

Thanks I will follow the weekly water change schedule and see how that goes. Don't want my goldfish to start going downhill I've had him for upwards of 10 years. I do not have any driftwood in the tank right now.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Dying pleco

Mimiheart, mentioned driftwood because some varieties of pleco actually graze on wood and need it to survive. There are several small varieties of Plecos available if you decide to replace
Yours. Here is my favorite Pleco. He is six y.o. and only four inches long. You can buy a small piece of Malaysian or mopani driftwood at most LFS. Keep AA updated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170612_082843.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	302955  
Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Stop adding salt, and I'd do a 75% water change ASAP. What are your ammonia levels at? How big is this tank? Are any of the things you add to the new water treating the water for chlorine?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 PM   #7

Ok. We are doing a change tonight. The test only showed GH, kh, ph, nitrite and nitrates. Do i need another test for ammonia? Tank is 10 gallons. And yes I have a treatment for chlorine to add to the new water as well as cycle. Left the salts out.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #8

I meant ph not oh ^
Old 08-22-2017, 09:15 PM   #9

I think my tank is 10 gallons but I'm not sure? It's large
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snapchat-1231395859.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	302960  
Old 08-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

http://mobile.dudamobile.com/site/fi...le.com%2F#2701

You can input the measurements into this and find out for sure. Ammonia is a major thing to test for, as it can kill your fish quickly. Do you have test strips, or a liquid test kit? Liquid is supposed to be much better.

If it is a ten gallon, you are massively overstocked, common plecos and goldfish get huge and need big tanks. What kind of filter do you have?

Tags
dyi, dying, plec, pleco

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com