Help with internal parasites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[ QUOTE=Hobgob;2987142]They aren't active at night bothering the other fish by anychance? Also did these come from the same tank? Maybe take a visit and see how the other ones are.

How does the poop look?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice[/QUOTE]

They're about as active at night as during the day. I watch them all the time. They were in the same tank at the lfs, if that's what you mean. They look different, but now as they grow are starting to show a more similar color pattern. Poop looks normal, brown and pretty solid. A couple of months ago I had a bout of white stringy poop but it didn't last.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Is this what the mark on your gourami looked like? Mine has it and he's currently in quarantine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1404969606124.jpg
    1404969606124.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 35
Is this what the mark on your gourami looked like? Mine has it and he's currently in quarantine.

No at some angles you can't even see it. It's more of a depression I guess? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404970369.313090.jpg

Oh okay I can tell now. Hmm. I'm stumped as to what's wrong with mine. Looks as if a chunk was taken out of him. Only other fish I have are angels 2 tetras a pictus catfish and pleco. Hopefully I'll get an expert chime in on my thread lol. Good luck with your fish though!

Oh okay I can tell now. Hmm. I'm stumped as to what's wrong with mine. Looks as if a chunk was taken out of him. Only other fish I have are angels 2 tetras a pictus catfish and pleco. Hopefully I'll get an expert chime in on my thread lol. Good luck with your fish though!

Thanks! Maybe it's bacterial for yours? Trying to diagnose sick fish is so stressful! Were about to do a big water change before bed....see if that helps....

That's what I'm thinking too. None of other fish have any marks on them at all. The angels spawned not to long ago but don't think they'd take a chunk out of a gourami. I'm doing daily water changes in main tank just in case and keeping the gourami In quarantine. He's eating swimming and everything fine. Just a weird chunk missing. It is very stressful

Maybe the gourami got too close to the angels eggs? I think I read that they get defensive over eggs if they successfully spawned?

Oh yeah they are very protective. They've had eggs twice now. Here's my angels. White one is male and marble is female

Attachments

• 1404972067186.jpg
    1404972067186.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 39
They're really pretty :) I almost wanted to put angels in my other tank (30gallon tall) ...how big is your tank?

Thanks :) Mines a 38 gallon. The male was about the size of a quarter when I got him. They are very interesting to watch. Do best as a pair or maybe four. They can be aggressive sometimes. They'll eat from my fingers and everything.

Thanks :) Mines a 38 gallon. The male was about the size of a quarter when I got him. They are very interesting to watch. Do best as a pair or maybe four. They can be aggressive sometimes. They'll eat from my fingers and everything.

Mines started to eat my shrimp! Shouldn't have put them in the community but theres tons of hiding spots. I disturb a bit of driftwood and a rock whilst cleaning last week and there were tons of shrimp under each. I think I ruined there home and made them vulnerable :(

My lfs told me angels love shrimp. I get ghost shrimp and they don't bother the larger ones but will eat the smaller ones. I think my pictus cat got the rest.

I have neons in my 30 now, which I understand are like angel food snacks....so it's destined to be a tetra tank, except that I lost 14 tetra to columnaris that basically ate away their faces. So I am hesitant to put anything back in it. (Want some rummy nose tetras eventually)

I have two orange colored tetras and my angels don't bother them at all. If you get angels just get two small ones and when they get bigger they won't bother the tetras

Maybe I'll get a couple...waiting a few more weeks to make sure everyone's healthy in that tank ;)

What are everyone's thoughts on using the api general cure (has praziquantel and metronidazole) just in case they have SOMETHING in my big tank with the gourami and balas that just died and were skinny? I hate to medicate but are these meds fairly easy on fish??

I don't blame ya at all on that one lol. I been freaking out since I came home to my gourami lookin how he does. I'm hoping it's not a parasite or something contagious. So stressful lol

What are everyone's thoughts on using the api general cure (has praziquantel and metronidazole) just in case they have SOMETHING in my big tank with the gourami and balas that just died and were skinny? I hate to medicate but are these meds fairly easy on fish??

I wouldn't put anything in unless you are sure there is something going on. Often meds just don't work for bacterial diseases. Medications can be harmful to fish and there internal organs like the liver. I read that the bacterial meds CAN destroy your bacterial colony (although I have never witnessed this) and destroy the fishes natural bacteria the play a vital role in outcompeting the nasty stuff (again I don't know how true this is)

My best method of keeping things out are thoroughly analysing the fish in the tanks before I buy them and never buy from a tank that has other poorly fish or dead fish in it.

I never quarantine either. I believe that this is more stressful for the fish and increases the likelihood of the fish becoming ill although I can see why people do it, especially those who keep expensive fish. Some of the recommended quarantine times are ridiculous.

My philosophy is, a happy fish is a healthy fish. Disease struggles to affect a fish who is already very healthy and for that you need tank stability. Good parameters and tank maintenance, correct temperatures and filter flow rates. Not overstocking (I always under stock) having correct tank mates, feeding quality foods with a varied diet.

Basically just deterring anything that may stress the fish.

Good to hear from someone who doesn't QT. I personally never have, but I buy from a lfs I trust and only healthy fish. I've never medicated (except a different tank for something specific and obvious) so I'm hesitant to medicate at all, but also nervous to just sort of wait and see what happens with more frequent water changes on my big tank and major fish stock. :-0

Good to hear from someone who doesn't QT. I personally never have, but I buy from a lfs I trust and only healthy fish. I've never medicated (except a different tank for something specific and obvious) so I'm hesitant to medicate at all, but also nervous to just sort of wait and see what happens with more frequent water changes on my big tank and major fish stock. :-0

I believe it is very difficult to keep an overstocked tank healthy. If you don't keep the aquarium balanced and stable nature will do it for you.

In my 47 bowfront I have
10 neons
8 harlequins
3 swordtails
1 angel
Red cherry shrimp

I haven't had any problems for nearly a year now. I keep lots of live plants too.

Back
Top Bottom