help with mollies... What is this and how do I treat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd216513

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
Two mollies, the worst one is a creamsicle, the one of focus in the pictures. They both have what appears to be swelling patches of their bodies, and I'm not sure what it is so I have no idea how to treat it. If you look at the pictures of the creamsicle molly, on the right side of her body is the most swollen spot. It's a darker orange than the rest of her, and it's located right between her gills and pectoral fin. It's a swollen area; that's all I know how to describe it. In the pictures you can also see a vertical white stripe cutting through the orange part. That just developed recently, she used to be all orange on the top half, like a normal creamsicle. I think this loss of coloration my be related to the swelling. She also has lighter swelling on both sides of the body and top, right around the front of the dorsal fin area. Any one know what this is? She had fin rot a few weeks ago, so I think it may still be that infection... maybe it's just moved on to the body? I used melafix to treat the fin rot, but fin rot could also be fungal, correct? I don't know if I should treat with melafix or pimafix... Can anyone tell if this is bacterial, fungal, or parasitic? As you can see from the middle picture, I removed her and one of my silver lyretails (the silver appears to be developing the same thing as well). I have them in a 1.5 Hex that I normally keep my babies in... I don't think this is really enough room for them, but I have nowhere else for them... Will it be ok if I do daily water changes for them? The last picture shows the circled areas of the swelling and de-colored stripe.

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. 0, 0, 10, 78, 7.4

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 20gal high, set up for almost a year.

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Aqueon Quietflow 20.

5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
2 angels, 6 mollies.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
last week, I do it weekly, about 20%

7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
a few months to a year for most of the fish. The two silver mollies, one of which is one of the infected, I got about a week and a half ago.

8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
no

9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
normally fed them tropical flakes, brine shrimp, and blood worms. Recently added spirulina flakes.

Attachments

• dsc00114hm.jpg
    dsc00114hm.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 153
  • dsc00125ru.jpg
    dsc00125ru.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 211
  • dsc00109av2.jpg
    dsc00109av2.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 201
Are they experiencing any odd behavior? If not, it could either be a fungal infection or a wound.

What is the ratio male/fem of mollies before they were moved?

I'd recommend watching them carefully, and you may want to try treating with either aquarium salt or non-iodized salt (easier to dissolve) and try and bump the temp to 80.

As long as the mollies are the only fish in the quar tank, adding some salt slowly over a few days could help them out (and then you'll just have to do a big water change to clear out the salt before you put any other fish in.)

I keep my Mollie tank at 81 at all times as well. They seem to enjoy the heat and it fends off the shivers (mollies tend to wiggle in place when they're cold or stressed) - just don't do this to your main, or your angels might not like you.

No, they seem to be carrying on normally, their appetite is the same and everything. I have a 1M/2F ratio. I already have salt in the main. I know the Angels are found in the amazon, so they probably aren't the biggest fans of salt, but I added it gradually and they haven't had any problem with it.

Since you have a molly tank and we're on the subject of mollies, I do have another question about them that you might be able to shed some light on. None of these mollies have ever had babies while in my tank. One of them I bought pregnant and she had the babies in the tank, but since then I haven't seen any more females with growing bellies or any babies. My swordtails and guppies have babies all the time in my other tank, so I know what to look for, but it just never happens... Do you know why this would happen? Does something have to be done to get them in the mood?

Anyway, priority is getting these girls back to health. I still have that melafix, and I read that it can be used with pimafix for maximum effect. I believe pimafix also helps in wound healing, so whether it's fungal or just wounds it should help. I've seen the creamsicle molly getting in fights with other females... Why would that happen? Every once in a while she'd be spinning in a circle with another female and they're chasing after each other tails. I don't know if that has any significance to the current situation or not. I don't even know why they'd be chasing each other.

It really depends on a number of factors.

1. If your male mollies are not "aggressive maters" - then the females may start to develop a bit of an attitude towards one another.

2. FW angelfish are ruthless when it comes to eating molly fry, unless the angels are overfed. The mollies may have realized this and have just decided not to breed in a tank with angels. Also, when male mollies do their "mating dance" - it tends to be quite an event - and if the Angels don't like all the commotion then they'll put a stop to it by bullying the males.

3. Cooler temperatures can sometimes coax fish to mate - so the next time you do a small water change (<15% or you could hurt the fish) - try making the water you're adding a little colder than usual. The only risk there is that you might make your angels mate, which could get really interesting. :p

At the end of the day, Angels and Mollies can co-habitate just fine in the same tank, but (one way or another) you're probably not going to see many babies in that setup.

Yeah, I know the angels love babies for breakfast, they always loved chomping down on guppy fry when they were in with the guppies (which was a BAD idea, even though my LFS said they would be fine together). But like I said, the female mollies don't even get big, so I guess it might be one of the other two things you mentioned. I never really thought of those two things, and they really make sense ha ha. Maybe I could move my angels into my community eventually and put the guppies in with the mollies. I've thought of that before, but I have neons and cardinals in my community. Do you think the angels would pick on / try to eat them? I know they're both from the amazon area, so I don't know if the tetras are natural snacks to them or not.

Anyway, thanks for those tips, I'll definitely have to look into my options. I've ordered some pimafix, so once I get that in I can continue treating the two girls and get them back into shape.

Ok, So I just read that melafix and pimafix don't handle a very broad range of bacteria/fungi... I just spent like $30 bucks on these things lol. I've read that they work better as a preventative measure and not a treatment, but I guess they'll still be useful for adding to QT when I get new fish. Now the new question is what should I now buy instead to treat this? I read that Maracyn 2 treats a wide range of bacterial infections, but I'm still not sure whether this is bacterial or fungal. I haven't been able to find many fungal treatments.

I was thinking of just going ahead and ordering pimafix anyway since I can't find many other fungus-fighting treatments and I was going to also order the maracyn 2. Does anyone have any idea if either of these would likely help? The melafix and salt treatments aren't doing anything to the affected areas; they are still just as swollen.

Ok so I checked on them when I woke up this morning, and the swollen areas are definitely darker and getting bigger. Here are pictures of the silver molly. One is when I first noticed the swollen area, the other picture where the area is bigger and darker is now. Here are links to the original size pictures, in case the resized ones are too small:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/7...c00127edit.jpg
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5...c00152edit.jpg

Can anyone identify this problem? How should I treat these fish?

Attachments

• dsc00127edit.jpg
    dsc00127edit.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 154
  • dsc00152edit.jpg
    dsc00152edit.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 188
At this point, I'm at a loss as well. I'm keeping only Black Mollies, and if they get injured, their bruises are whitish.

What is the diet you're currently feeding these 2?

I've seen mollies start to get that coloration (#2) when they're pregnant (good) - but that also looks like early-onset swim-bladder disease (bad).

How friendly are they? When you put something in the water, do they come up to it? or do they run away?

If you can get your hands on some frozen peas - try blanching them and then cutting the skins off them - then with a clean plastic spoon (or your fingers if they're reaaaaally friendly) try holding the "pea guts" down to them and see if they'll eat them. Also, I'd recommend making sure their overall diet is "3 veggie : 1 meat" where the spirulina flakes, peas, and (algae crisps / wafers are awesome too) are 3meals:1meal of brine shrimp / blood worms.

Because Mollies are algae-eaters / herbivores -- they can get constipated easily if their Protein:Fiber ratio is too high. And constipation leads to swim bladder disease.

does'nt look like their pregnent. it looks like they have a fungus, any of these medications should work. Aquarium pharm. primafix, mardel fungus cure, or kordon formalin 3. or rid ich+ which covers protozoan to fungal. primafix can also be mixed with melafix. I personall like kordon i've use it for years with great success
Good luck

fishman

Thanks so much for the help guys, I've been freaking out over these two ha ha. The silver molly actually just gave birth last night, I think she dropped early bc of here sickness though; quite a few babies weren't fully developed yet and some were still full eggs. I feed my mollies almost completely green spirulina flakes and algae pellets, I do give them a little brine shrimp or bloodworms, and occasionally peas. They're still eating just fine, but they are getting a little less active... I just looked at the fish from the top and it looks like either they have scales sticking out or they are missing some scales in those swollen areas. I'll try to get some fungal treatment ASAP. I ordered some Maracyn Plus, Pimafix, Kordon Methylene Blue, Jungle Labs Fungus Eliminator, and medicated fish food from an online store today because I had no idea what treatment to use, ha ha. Which of those would likely be most helpful for these girls?

oh, also on hand I have Hikari ich-x, but I don't believe that will treat fungal infections like rid ich+ does, correct? The only other on hand treatments are melafix and aquarium salt.

oh, also on hand I have Hikari ich-x, but I don't believe that will treat fungal infections like rid ich+ does, correct? The only other on hand treatments are melafix and aquarium salt.

Rid ick+ is a wide spectrum medication it should do the trick. be sure to do a 25% water change before you add meds, and take out your carbon filters, If you have one.

Good luck !

fisman

Ok, I can order some of that as well then. I hope the shimpments get here in time :-/ they don't sell any of these products at my LFS. They did sell the melafix, it was 3x the prices of anything I've seen online, but I bought it anyway in an attempt to help these girls.

One of the manifestations of a columnaris infection on the outer body of a fish is a characteristic "saddle" shaped discoloration. In other words, discolered areas on either sides of the fish, but connected on top of the fish shaped roughly resembling as if someone had placed a saddle on the fish. Do your infections look like that?

Read this page and see if the description of an external columnaris infection seems to match what you are seeing. If it does, then treating with an antibiotic designed for gram-negative bacteria is going to be your best bet. If you have Maracyn 2 on order, that would be perfect, as it is specifically designed to combat gram-negative bacteria, and I have used it successfully (well, partially successfully) in the past to treat columnaris.

That being said, columnaris is a pretty nasty disease, and even if identified early and treatment is begun almost immediately, my own experience is it will still be fatal at least 50% of the time. I had the "mouth version" of the disease wipe out an entire school of dwarf neon rainbowfish on me before, and the one time I had it in the saddleback form in a tank of livebearers (swordtails) I lost 3 out of the 6 despite the fact I started treating the tank within about 24 hours of seeing the lesions developing.

I think that's what it was. Unfortunately, the silver molly died last night. I fed her, and she was acting pretty normal, then I went out to run some errands. I came home about two hours later and she was dead :-/ It says on the columnaris page that it infects the fish when they are stressed. This silver molly was pregnant and near delivery, so she probably was stressed. All of the babies are fine, but I wish I could have save the mom too :-/ The shape she had was that saddle shape. It started right in front of her dorsal fin and spread down the side of her body, so it sounds like it was columnaris. Thanks for the help JohnPaul, at least I now know what the heck it was, and hopefully I can treat the creamscile molly in time. She doesn't seem to be very bad at all. She has the discoloration as I mentioned, but she hasn't formed and lesions. She is, however, swollen by her gills, but the sore isn't an open wound or bloddy looking like the silver molly's was. I think I'll be able to treat this one :)

Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope you have better luck with the other fish. Make sure your water stays super clean, and like that one page suggested, a little aquarium salt in the water helps a lot. All livebearers like a little salt in the water, but of all of them mollies like it the most. In fact, many mollies (especially in the southern USA) live in brackish water and, if slowly acclimated, can actually live quite happily in water that is very nearly full-strength salt water. Pretty amazing fishes, actually.

After I had posted last night, I found another article online that suggested Kanamycin (Kanacyn) as a great first-choice drug for treating columnaris.

Please keep us posted on how you the other fish are doing!

Thanks for that extra article, I'll give it a read here in a sec. My new medications should be in tomorrow. On the order I have Maracyn Plus, Methylene Blue, Fungus Eliminator, Pimafix, and some medicated fish food. I'm guessing the Maracyn Plus would likely help this molly? Just to restate, it's the creamsicle molly and she has that discoloration, as well as a swelling spot by her gills that has gotten a darker orange. The discolored "saddle" patch has lost color, and it's kind of silver now (where it used to be orange). My tank has a specific gravity of about 1.005, so it has a decent amount of salt in it :) I believe I got this infection from the new fish in the tank (the silver molly that died). I had her in quarantine for 3 days when I got her and she looked and behaved fine. I didn't want to quaratine for too long bc I was quarantining here in that little hex aquarium; it was all that I had available :-/

None of the other fish appear to have any issues, so at I guess I spotted the issue in good time :)

Back
Top Bottom