Help with sick Guppy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
krissy i agree if you are speaking on the terms of an endler, but i am pretty sure that guppy males fin is larger. i have both guppy and endler and there's a pretty big difference with the males, i can see how a female endler and guppy could be mistaken though. people please chime in here.... top photo endler male, bottom photo on the top yellow/black tail male guppy.

I have both Endlers and guppies. Male guppies usually have a larger tail and more colorful. I have had some colored females before that look male. You could also get a plain male that looked female. I find that gravid spot is an easier determination than the fin because it is easier to see and shows up earlier.

As to what to do with your little guy, I would suggest getting a separate "bowl" (large tupperware dish, etc.) and putting him in there. If you can put in a plant that would help destress him. Add aquarium salt to the water will help detox him. Salt is awesome for livebearers. You can add it to your other tank as well. 1 tsp per gallon if you have live plants. 1 tbsn if you don't.

Leave your guy in the separate tank for a while. You can use tank water to change it to keep the quality the same. Then try introducing him back.

They could be picking on him because he is sick. Animals do that sometimes. Once he is feeling better, they may leave him alone. If they don't, you can choose which ones to take back to the lfs and trade for fish who will get along.

I have kept 4 guppy males together without a female and didn't have any trouble. So it is not impossible.

You guys mentioned fins getting stuck in filters- cut a piece of panty hose and put it over the input of the filter and it won't happen- or at the very least it won't get sucked through into the filter

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The types may be different but sexing them is the same with most live bearers. Be it any type of "guppy"

Male= pointy (size varies)
Female= fan-like

You guys mentioned fins getting stuck in filters- cut a piece of panty hose and put it over the input of the filter and it won't happen- or at the very least it won't get sucked through into the filter

And for you "guys" who don't wear panty house, get a filter bag. It works just as well and you can attach it with a rubber band.

It also works to keep out babies.

The types may be different but sexing them is the same with most live bearers. Be it any type of "guppy"

Male= pointy (size varies)
Female= fan-like

Oddly enough, this definition works for people too.

Maybe, deep down, we are all guppies. :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407184884.746451.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407184921.108648.jpg

Those are some of mine.

My favorite is my big cobra male in the second pic :)

Pretty fish :)

Thanks for everyone's help. I called petsmart. The guy told me the bigger one is probably sick/weaker like I suspected, and that's why the other 2 are picking on him. I did a 30% water change today, used salt, and stress coat. We'll see. Sick fish is back in the breeder box; other 2 are back in the tank (I had it the other way around for awhile so sick fish could swim around a bit - wanted to see if that helped). Right now he's still just slowly swimming along the surface of the water with his mouth up.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Keeping the tank really clean while he recovers is key right now. :) good luck and keep is posted :)

* i do hope the water change and salt help the sick guppy.. sorry to hear about your luck.. dont give up, theres plenty other fish in the sea. :)

beautiful pictures ladies.
krissy congrats on the babies!!! i was not challenging you, as the person who posted seemed confused as to the sex which is why i explained difference between male guppy and male endler tail fins.. no bad intention meant, i apologize if i came off wrong. i know his frustration. this is the first i am able to wake up and not count on seeing a dead guppy.
angela, i finally learned to use something to cover the filter. just bummed i lost a couple because i didnt know.. i guess theres room for improvement on some filters.. your guppies look much like mine, i did a second look as i have a few of the same pattern as you..
i am curious as to what the outcome will be when i put the endlers and guppies together. what will the creation be after spawning? i would love to see what people get from that if its even possible which i imagine it is.
thought i would share a pic too...

Attachments

• 7-23-2014.jpg
    7-23-2014.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I have a "guppy" that came from his momma who was just a plain grey maybe a little yellow. He is a month or two old now. I suspect daddy was and endler!! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407194584.094583.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407194624.330843.jpg

Te photos don't so him justice!!!! He stayed black for a while then over night the colors just popped!! He is a lot brighter in person!

Man it is hard to get good pics!

Yeah! Looks like we have some of the same cobra ones :) I love that pattern

Angela i got lucky and found a few male guppies who looks like they were breed w/ endler also.. they are beautiful fish, not sure what we call the mix a gundler maybe.. anyway i saw them there were 4 they had the lustrous metallic that endlers do with guppy fin.. looking for pretty fish, you cant beat that... but gosh they are fast little swimmers. i try to get good pix but just cant do it... grrrr

Haha yeah!! Our little guy that I suspect is a mix is SUPER metallic!!

That's awesome. I know if I see endler I want it. They are very hard to find here. Guppies with the male endler color is just stunning.

Yeah. I don't find endlers too often around here either. (Albany NY)

PetSmart here had 2 in there guppy tank I took 1 and hope the other is still there when I go back. I'm hoping ppl don't recognize it and pass it up, and another store gets some in with there wild guppy.
I hear hybrid allot can someone tell me what that means?

That's the kind of luck I like.

It is a mix of 2 species, like a lion and tiger, liger. There are guppy and endler hybrids

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom